Red Slime tank in distress Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tropical Science, IMO are a bit more involved with the differences between FW bacteria and SW bacteria...realizing they are different and therefore have a different formula for each. This is something Hagen doesn't do. It's the same for both. I mention cycle more on the FW threads and NitroMax Marine on the SW.

Garlic is initially for stimulating appetite, but has that other great benefit as well. Garlic wards off flesh mounting, blood sucking pests. It does not get rid of parasites. The garlic just makes the fish smell and taste bad to them. Gotta admit...garlic has the potential to keep your friends away if it's strong enough...LOL. Another benefit from garlic is it can also enhance the immune system if used properly.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5016

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/GarlicGuard.html

It is very easy to make your own garlic oil..if you are interested, I can tell you how via PM.

I really think that a large part of the problem is that you are STILL looking for chemical fixes when water changes will fix the issue. Your tank is a 65 gallon tank, doing a 2 gallon water change is not any kind of assistance. You should be a little more careful in the water changing as well. That sudden temperature drop is not good for the fish and inverts in the tank. The water should be as close as possible to the same temperature.

zapdbf said:
The next step i want to take is to use more ammo lock, to help seal it, then durring this week do a 2 gal water change each day.

Truly, you need to do larger water changes. Water changes are the best thing you can do for your tank and it's inhabitants. There is no way around that. Larger water changes since as mentioned, since 2% is not nearly enough and do them often til your water parameters stablilize.

" really think that a large part of the problem is that you are STILL looking for chemical fixes when water changes will fix the issue."

-- No, i never was looking for a "chemical fix" just somthing to get me by untill i could get things right again. - i was looking to chemicals like we would use a bandaid. I realize that bacteria addition, and water changes untill the cycle is balanced again is the answer. i have a problem getting more than 10 gal a day at this point. since i only use ro water and have to purchace it, the store i am getting it from is out of bottles and i have two 5 gal bottles.

-- The ammo lock was to prevent the amonia from dammaging the fish(bandaid) untill the water changes and bacteria was able to balance the tank -- what is wrong with this idea ? please tell me !

Ok 2 gal not enough, the best i can muster is 10 gal a day. i will attempt to increse the voulume i can support.

I am just trying to get through this with as little stress to the fish and my nerves i can.

-- TCHFish thanks for the info on th NitroMax i will use this.

i am also looking into a sump.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

I will let you all know how this saga ends.

i got a supprise i had a hitchhiker in my lr that i just bought. it looks like an eel i beleve it is a banded eel. go figure 8O

it is spirling out of control, i am doing massive water changes 20 gal a day and the ammo is upto 3 ppm. i can't seem to stop it. i have went through 2 bags of salt and 100 gal of water, i don;t get it. i have cut back on feeding small portions every other day. all of my occupats are ok yet. but i can't get this under control.

the only option i have left is to do a 100 % water change. don't know how much good it will do me, because it will just go out of control again my no3 is showing 20 ppm so bacteria is working in th tank teh no2 is at .1ppm verry low.

one thing that is concerning me is that i have been using a liquid test kit from aquarium pharmaceuticals.

i also happen to have a dip stick type from before i purchaced the master test kit, and this strip is made by jungle labs. and when i use this the ammo shows to be .25 ppm.

at this time i am beleving the liquid test kit i have.

-- Maby i am just getting a bad reading ? i did use the liquid test kit on aged salt water ready for the tank and it showed no ammo, so did the test strip.

So i am lost at this point.

The live rock may have added in some ammonia, but what I'm gathering here is that your attempts to beat ammonia levels from rising may be hampering the bio's try to re establish. Do more like 10% changes three times a week and just keep on using a bio additive. Let the ammonia rise so it can do it's thing. The bio additive will help protect the animals while the bio is re establishing.

Breathe and relax.

I see you had a large temp drop when doing a water change, did you bring the new water up to temp before using it?
I see you also had a 1.0 for phosphate. Did you test your new water for PO4? What kind of water are you using?
Sounds like there is some die off on that LR you added. You said it was cured, how long was it at the LFS or did you have it shipped in?

I use salifert test kits, IMO they are one of the best kits out there.

i wonder if i am getting some kind of false reading, because my fish are fine, no deaths, not even the seahose, what is the symptioms of ammonia poisining ?

everyone is eating fine.

Back
Top Bottom