Reef crystals recall warning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys and Gals,
I have been seeing on other forums there has been major loss some tanks all have been lost and some just livestock... I saw the recall on another post here in AA but have been searching online and no information from Instant Ocean regarding this recall. I tired to send an email but it was kicked back to me as undeliverable so I am going to try again from work on Monday. I got a box 200 gallon and so far no problems but I still have one bag left out of the box and I can find no date on the box.

Like I said, it is way to easy to blame others aka rumors of bad salt, on just that rumors. Funny no one had any issues until 1 person said that ther was bad salt, now everything wrong with out tanks is because of the salt. No one else has heard back, and no one has any confirmation that there is anything worng. Not saying seaweed made anything up, but just because 1 company rep said ther is a problem that has never been confirmed by a major company. We need to go back to taking care of our tanks and stop waiting for someone else to be responsible for all our issues. If there was a major problem, there would have been a recall. They are not going to risk their reputation and the future of their organization by not admitting a problem when their is a wide spread issue. If you have issues, start with your water supply and your upkeep and Mainteance of your reef, that will eliminate 99% of the issues. If you think their supply is bad, then change. Like I said if a major reef supply company had a major problem, then all online retailers and brick and motore stores would have been notified. If they had a minor issue that did not affect the health of the reefs that they are in business to support, then they would have just made corrections. Now they are getting blamed for ph issues, nitrates, fish dyeing, and everything else that is wrong. We must apply common sence and take responsibilities. I'm sure the vast majority of people who use a competitors brand of salt as a whole have a lot of the same issues.

Now we return you back to your regular programming

Holygral said:
Like I said, it is way to easy to blame others aka rumors of bad salt, on just that rumors. Funny no one had any issues until 1 person said that ther was bad salt, now everything wrong with out tanks is because of the salt. No one else has heard back, and no one has any confirmation that there is anything worng. Not saying seaweed made anything up, but just because 1 company rep said ther is a problem that has never been confirmed by a major company. We need to go back to taking care of our tanks and stop waiting for someone else to be responsible for all our issues. If there was a major problem, there would have been a recall. They are not going to risk their reputation and the future of their organization by not admitting a problem when their is a wide spread issue. If you have issues, start with your water supply and your upkeep and Mainteance of your reef, that will eliminate 99% of the issues. If you think their supply is bad, then change. Like I said if a major reef supply company had a major problem, then all online retailers and brick and motore stores would have been notified. If they had a minor issue that did not affect the health of the reefs that they are in business to support, then they would have just made corrections. Now they are getting blamed for ph issues, nitrates, fish dyeing, and everything else that is wrong. We must apply common sence and take responsibilities. I'm sure the vast majority of people who use a competitors brand of salt as a whole have a lot of the same issues.

Now we return you back to your regular programming

I agree totally. FYI, it isn't rocket science to test your makeup water before tossing it into the tank anyway. In my 30 years of saltwater and owning LFS's I never got a bad load of salt. If there is salt that is mixing at a ph of 6 (and I am not even sure how you could do that without adding something very acidic) there would be a recall of all of it. Maybe that's happening, but I can't find conformation of it anywhere. I use reef crystals and won't be changing. But I also add 60 gallons on a water change and would never put it in without checking salinity, temperature and PH. Sometimes I do cal/alk too.

I agree totally. FYI, it isn't rocket science to test your makeup water before tossing it into the tank anyway. In my 30 years of saltwater and owning LFS's I never got a bad load of salt. If there is salt that is mixing at a ph of 6 (and I am not even sure how you could do that without adding something very acidic) there would be a recall of all of it. Maybe that's happening, but I can't find conformation of it anywhere. I use reef crystals and won't be changing. But I also add 60 gallons on a water change and would never put it in without checking salinity, temperature and PH. Sometimes I do cal/alk too.

Common sence is like micro bubbles,
they always rise to the top :), reef on:fish1:

I recieved a response from instant ocean. They state there are no recalls or bad batches on any lot codes. It is safe for use.

Response from io

Hi David,

Where did you hear this? We do not have a recall on any of our Reef Crystals, and no, you should not stop using it.

ML

Good thing there isn't no recall. Just bought a 200gal box worth of reef crystals today.

Any batch of salt, no matter who made it, should be tested once the first time you mix it up. After that I wouldn't worry about it.

Reef crystals recall warning.

Just got off phone with instant ocean/pet group inc

I was having major Ph issues
they told me to stop use immediately
something got in the mix that causes PH to drop drastically
they have had many complaints with this issue and I wasn't the only one

they said they would notify me once they resolve the issue

just figured I would pass along this info in-case other fellow reefers use this mix also (y)

thank god I haven't lost any live stock

Who did you speak with? Because I have sent them emails and they said there is no "Recall" and I also called Dr. Foster & Smiths and they have no info about any recall's for Reef Crystal Salt mix.

That is good to hear because I have one bag left from my 200 box that I bought a month ago. So I can finish that bag up with no worries. CORRECT????

That is good to hear because I have one bag left from my 200 box that I bought a month ago. So I can finish that bag up with no worries. CORRECT????

Yes finish it there is nothing wrong with it here is the direct response instant ocean sent to me, if you go back a page another member also confirms that io said to continue use they know nothing about a recall.:)

Hi David,

Where did you hear this? We do not have a recall on any of our Reef Crystals, and no, you should not stop using it.

ML

It appears there is no recall. This has become nothing more than a big argument now. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom