Refugium macro algae (cheato) ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
Think a clump of macro algae (cheato), can survive in a sump with this t8 I had lowing around. Think it would work of I leaned it up this way?

Readingexcalibur said:
Think a clump of macro algae (cheato), can survive in a sump with this t8 I had lowing around. Think it would work of I leaned it up this way?

T8 will be plenty of lighting for the chaeto but not so sure about the way you have it setup, the stuff like light, it doesn't need strong light but it does need light, will you have it tumbling or just a normal flow through it?

Trying to obtain a tumble, however it keeps sinking, so guess it will just have a flow threw it. 10g Sump moves roughly 350 gph (that's after height and 1" PVC overflow calculations are factored). Well I don't feel confident in this setup and the light is to big to fit. I'll leave it like this until I figure out how to get a light down there. Would a regular florescent bulb work?

I think i would just invest in a small, cheap lamp that can shine down on your fuge :) that light looks out of place.

Question, if there anyway to hang that light? It there a stand or something above it that it can be attatched to?

Unfortunately there is no way to hang the light. It is the bottom of the glass thank. This lamp is just off my 20g planted FW that I bought T5s for. I am considering buying nano's fuge light. It's 4 3w LEDs. I am using these leds on my reef tank with great success.

Edit. 4 1w I believe. My bad

Readingexcalibur said:
Unfortunately there is no way to hang the light. It is the bottom of the glass thank. This lamp is just off my 20g planted FW that I bought T5s for. I am considering buying nano's fuge light. It's 4 3w LEDs. I am using these leds on my reef tank with great success.

Edit. 4 1w I believe. My bad

About how much would those cost?
I just have a shop light fixture, you know the round metal bowl looking ones, with a 13w fluorescent bulb in it and its doing good so far!

Didn't realize you could do that. Yeah, the led is $50. So I can literally go to corporate greed Walmart and buy a bulb and shop light and grow the cheato?

I have a jbj nano light that i used on my old fuge. On my new one i got a cheap clip on work light for 9 bucks at walmart and a 6500 energy saver bulb. For under 10 bucks, the work light is doing a better job than my 50 buck jbj nano light.

Sniperhank said:
I have a jbj nano light that i used on my old fuge. On my new one i got a cheap clip on work light for 9 bucks at walmart and a 6500 energy saver bulb. For under 10 bucks, the work light is doing a better job than my 50 buck jbj nano light.

This is realy good news. See now my wife doesn't have to threaten my life for buying another expensive aquarium product lol. On last question. The clip lights are normally metallic right? Would there be a problem with rust considering how corrosive saltwater is. I'm not saying it will be on the water, but just from evaporation..

Most of them come with a rubber guard around the clip. Should be enough protection. Even if you do start to see signs of rust down the road, you can either sand it off or just buy another one...it is only 8 bucks.

Sniperhank said:
Most of them come with a rubber guard around the clip. Should be enough protection. Even if you do start to see signs of rust down the road, you can either sand it off or just buy another one...it is only 8 bucks.

Good point, thank you

Yeah, I had the fixture just laying around my house and the light was 10 dollars I think?
I bought a 13w fluorescent energy saver daylight bulb

What kind of growth rates are you seeing with the cheato. I know it depends on a few thee things as well. This is in my pred tank with a lion and eel. Nitrates climb so fast ha!

It has doubled in size since i got the sump up and going in less than a month. Ill be trimming it during my pwc.
I wouldn't trim chaeto until you don't have any more room in the refugium. the more you have, the better it will be at nutrient absorption.

mr_X said:
I wouldn't trim chaeto until you don't have any more room in the refugium. the more you have, the better it will be at nutrient absorption.

Man, in that case I can't wait until this little clump grows. My lfs was throwing it out as they were cleaning their filters. Got it free that way.

Back
Top Bottom