RO vs saltwater for storing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to store some water for emergencies in a tightly sealed plastic container.

Given the choice, would storing just RO water, or pre-mixed saltwater be better for storing for a couple of months?

Storing the saltwater would mean I could use the water a few hours sooner than if it had to be mixed - but would normal RO water keep better?

More than likely the straight RO water would be the saferst, IMO. You would not have to worry about impacting SG with evaporation, or ph impact from sitting.

Cool, thanks :)

On a similar point - I mix the salt with my RO water for at least a day, then leave it for a couple of days (with a lid covering it), then when I go back to it it's often got little white debris bits in it - not sure what they are - any ideas?

I thought I was getting all those out with my RO unit? :p

As they're in the water anyway, I guess if a bit gets into the main tank during the waterchange, it's not a problem?

Well, if it's a reef tank your adding water that is imbalanced which could throw off the balance of the tank. The salt mix has CA and MG in it ;)

When I first got started in SW I stored my mixed water in what I thought was a tightly sealed container. After a water change I lost 3 fish. Being a noob a waited a couple of weeks and added more fish and used water out of the same container for the next water change. Of course I lost all my fish again.
My container wasnt sealed and I was killing my fish with bacteria from the stored SW. Since that I NEVER store SW for more than a few days without using it.

Im not the sharpest tack in the box, so my experience wouldnt necessarily apply to you.

Thanks for the input guys - I guess I'll store RO water, rather than mixed saltwater, then :)

Back
Top Bottom