Royal Gramma or Fridmani Pseudochromas???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickh

Aquarium Advice Regular
Help!! I am looking for a peaceful fish to add to 29 gallon. I was about to get a Royal Gramma or a Black Cap Basslet. Then I read that they are a deep water fish, love caves and hate bright reef tanks. So they will hide all day. The Fridmani Pseudochromas is supposedly a peaceful Pseudochromas and they like bright lights. The majority of Pseudos are nasty.. Please give me your comments if you have one of these guys. Thanks. R.

Pseudos are generally aggressive to their own kind. Only one per tank is advised. Keep in mind...grammas and basslets are related to pseudos and are included in that one per tank advice. In other words, it's either or on any of them.

My Royal Gramma is a great fish. I have heard people at my LFS complaining about their pseudochromases being total jerks to their tankmates.

Personally, I would get the black cap basslet, I think they look cooler than the royal.

Black capped basslets need shaded cliff edges within the rocks to feel secure and pristine water quality. They do great if those things are met. I had one for several years in a 29 reef set with a few caves I made out of the live rock. She was great :)

Thanks for the input. I like the Black Cap, but I am concerned about the light. It's a small bright tank and I don't want to take up a "fish slot" with something that hides all the time. The Pseudos can be nasty, but the Fridmani is better. Maybe.

P.s. Wanted to add, the only time I EVER saw a side of aggression was when another fish tried to get in her own little single barnacle that she slept/lived in that she called home... Other than the peaceful and easy going.

Back
Top Bottom