Sea Star Acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just a couple questions about sea star acclimation:

1) How do you regulate the water temp when you are drip acclimating for 2-3 hours? I would think the water would start getting cold over time.

2) How do you keep from exposing it to air when transferring it from the bag to the container you will acclimate it in and then into the tank. Im assuming you will just have to get some of the lfs water in your tank?

Thanks!

1: A 25 heater placed on top of base rock is usually good at maintaining heat.
2: After a 3+ hour drip and removing a cup or two per hour very little lfs water is going to get into your tank. I use a shallow bowl and transfer that way.

Even better if you have a QT you can match the lfs ph/sg/alk/temp exactly and bring up to your mains ph/sg/alk/temp over the course of a week or two and then easily transfer without messing with the drip. Better over all for the health of the Sea Star.

Make sure you read all the info you can on acclimating sea stars. I have killed 2 already.

tecwzrd said:
1: A 25 heater placed on top of base rock is usually good at maintaining heat.
2: After a 3+ hour drip and removing a cup or two per hour very little lfs water is going to get into your tank. I use a shallow bowl and transfer that way.

Even better if you have a QT you can match the lfs ph/sg/alk/temp exactly and bring up to your mains ph/sg/alk/temp over the course of a week or two and then easily transfer without messing with the drip. Better over all for the health of the Sea Star.

I don't understand what you mean about the heater and the base rock. What kind of container do you acclimate them in? Do you put the rock and heater in the container?

I think he used the rock to keep the container from falling over...but I might be wrong...

what type of star?
This time of your keeping warm should not be a major issue but if it is I use a heating pad under the plastic bowl I use for acclimations..

Not sure what type...I love the blue linckia but they sound a little difficult to care for and I don't wanna kill it. I was thinking a red sea start or a sand sifting one...just toying with the idea for now. Tank has been up and running for about a year. Currently only have a yellow tang/sailfin tang and a goby in the 125 gal.

Most people use some sort of plastic container to acclimate i.e. 5 gal bucket, plastic tote, ect...

Point of placing the 25W heater on a small piece of base rock is to alleviate fears of the heater melting the plastic. IME my 25W heater has never melted any plastic container for acclimation but most people feel better knowing the heating element isn't placed up against it.

For fish acclimations of up to 2 hours I agree that a heater is typically not needed (depending on the fish) but with Sea Stars needing longer acclimations due to their increased sensitivity to changes in ph/sg/temp I would highly recommend using a heater.

Or as I said before using a QT to match the Sea Stars water so acclimation can be a quick 15 minute drip before adding.

Back
Top Bottom