Seahorse/Pipefish Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been thinking of getting another (smaller) tank so I can house seahorses or an eel. I've looked at liveaquaria.com and the only seahorses I see require a min tank size of 50 gallons. So rather than keep on spinning my wheels I'll pick your brains! Is anyone familiar with the different types of seahorses? Eels? What are the names of seahorses or eels that don't require such a large tank?

Thanks!

IME and IMO they are really hard to keep healthy. I`m talking about the seahorses. I had some and they would be OK for several months but they would always get Vibrio which was a disease they get alot. I`m doing a whole lot better with the eel. Maybe down the road I`ll try again. I had a 29 and had two Seahorses. Here is a pic of one. BTW I have a snowflake moray eel.

img_876373_0_d4eaac906deb8aebf8aeae1917bf18a2.jpg

Even some of the smaller seahorses readily available such as Hippocampus fuscus (Sea pony) and H. reidi still can attain around 5-7" unless you are delving into H. zosterae (Dwarf seahorse), but H. zosterae can be delicate and difficult to feed. I personally wouldn't house any pairs in anything under 30g with 40g being the better minimal option. QT is very important so you can monitor any potential problems such as skin inflamations, parasites, etc. By no means any offense, but most cases I have come across in disease is underlined by Mycobacterium and not Vibrio, but possible and would not be known without a proper necropsy. Most likely by the time either pathogen has broken out the seahorse was already suffering from some other onset and its disease resistance was very low to nonexistant.

You might be right James. I had just read that vibrio was the common disease but I wasnt sure. I really did alot of homework but it just wasnt working so I said I`ll do it another day. Right now msbeanctr, the eel is in a 29 but he`s only about 7 or eight inches. I`m looking for a 55 as we speak.

Should I assume that the pipefish may also be prone to the same problems as the seahorses?

Also, I was thinking of a 24 gallon nano setup. Could I do an eel in a small tank like that?

Should I assume that the pipefish may also be prone to the same problems as the seahorses?

Yes.

Also, I was thinking of a 24 gallon nano setup. Could I do an eel in a small tank like that?

If you want to spend some money for a beautiful "show animal," Gymnothorax melatremus, Dwarf golden moray would be it and be of acceptable size. Even the snowflakes can grow quite large and most recommend at least a 40g for them, but may take some years before it outgrows the tank. Have you thought about an angler setup?

The dwarf golden moray is beautiful! I found one for $349.....but when you mentioned the anglers I had to look at them also. There are some very colorful frogfishes.

Is there anything specific I need to be aware of with the frogfishes? Darn, that golden moray is beautiful too.

Holy Cow!! I made the mistake of visiting the lfs and saw a Japanese Dragon Eel.....love at first sight! Then I saw the price tag......eee ghads!! We're talkin' 4 figures here. Yikes!

Make sure you are indeed looking at the Dwarf golden moray and not a golden moray; Big differences between the two ;) Antennarius maculatus (Warty/Wartskin frogfish) seem to be quite common and a pair of similar size could be housed. Make sure there is plenty of liverock for them, feed x1-x2/week (may need coaxing onto prepared), species specific tank (not a beginner's fish), purchase in lfs if possible, and know that they are definitely not active fish XD

Back
Top Bottom