Solution for long hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That would probably help but if u scrape it off it's still in the tank. It might just colonize on something else. You could try a turbo snail or two or other snail species.

I have algae scrubbed for the past 20 years. It works fine, but is a bit of work to setup. Probably the most effective way to strip nutrients from the water. Certainly one of the most natural ways of doing it.

If you don't remove the algae from the system, the nutrients just recycle and make more algae.

Just got freakin tired of the ugly green hair and pulled most of it off. I don't know my alk. Lol prob should get alk and calcium test kits. Next lfs run, I will get them

10 turbo snails in the tank just ow there busy as can be going at it feel like a made a great purchase.

Yes you should have an alk test. Stable dkh is vital IMO. Plus low dkh will mean green hair algae. Get the dkh up and nutrients out and poof, it will go away without the aid of creatures.

Leighton79 said:
Yes you should have an alk test. Stable dkh is vital IMO. Plus low dkh will mean green hair algae. Get the dkh up and nutrients out and poof, it will go away without the aid of creatures.

Isn't testing alk with out calcium useless. I've heard you need the right balance between them

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are asking. Alk, cal and mag are related, but it's mag that makes cal available. Therefore when everybody bangs on about "I can't get my cal up" mag is usually the culprit. However that's a whole different matter. With such a large acceptable range (8-12 maybe even 13) I don't accept that alk without cal is useless at all. Mind you you should really have all 3 kits if you are keeping a reef anyway.

Back
Top Bottom