someone help me with 'sumps'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scubasteve

Aquarium Advice Activist
I read the sumps explained article on AA but I'm still not sure what I need exactly to set one up, it seems like a good idea cause I could put the ghetto skimmer i have in the sump and the sump would be better for water changes. My tank is 72 g bowfront, undrilled. I'd like a sump that can handle just enough water for a water change i guess around 10-15 gallons. I'd like to do this as low cost as possible, what type of equipment am i looking at and a price range.

If at all possible i'd like to avoid drilling the tank.
thanks.

sumps are actually pretty easy to understand once you get the general concept. all it really is is an extra container for storing more water. most use a regular tank and put it in their stand, and use an overflow box with pvc pipe to carry water down to the sump, and a regular pump to pump the water back up to the tank.

for a very simple sump, all you need is a container, some people just use a rubbermaid container you can pick up anywhere for like 5 bucks, a pump, cost depends on how much water you plan to move through, an overflow box, probably the most expensive thing you'll need, and of course the plumbing parts, all in all you can really get away with paying around $100 if you want to be really cost efficient.

we set up one with a 10 gal tank for about that price. HTH

A hang on overflow box, a hose/plumbing to bring water down. Then a pump (prefferably a mag drive) to bring the water back up. On the pump when you make the PVC return pipe you need to add a ball valve, this way in case it pumps to fast you can equal it out with the overflow. Also its better to have a smaller GPH overflow and a bigger pump, since the pump is weakened since it's going up against gravity. You may also want to drill a small hole in the return pipe where it enters the water. This way when the power goes out, it will start to syphon down, and when it reaches the hole it will suck air and stop. I like this method better than a check valve. Just make sure your sump has extra room to hold the power outage syphon down. I tested it in mine, and it worked perfectly. As soon as I plugged it back in it filled the main, and the continuous overflow box picked back up, and the sump level went back to normal.

You should be able to set a up at sump for around 150.00 or so. You will need a rubber maid tub, a pump, and an overflow box.

The box acts as a syphon and draws water into the rubber maid.

You can set up the drains one of two ways either simply run the hose down into the rubber maid and let it just lay on the floor of the sump, or you can buy bulk head for each drain. A bulk head is basically a plastic bolt and a nut that we use on tanks that are already drilled. Cut a hole in the rubber maid just big enough to slip the "bolt" through, then tighten down the "nut." Then attatch the hose with a hose clamp. Presto....your box is plummed into your sump.

The return is just as simple. Attatcht he hose to the pump, then to the outlet.

If your wanting this for water volume, I would suggest a deep rubber maid. If your wanting this for a fuge, I would suggest a shallow one.

Remember, at first only fill the sump up half way. If the power goes out, the pump will obviously shut off, but the syphon will still be drawing water. Its going to pull several gallons of water before the water gets low enough for to break the draw.

What did you mean you want to use it for water changes?

scubasteve whats driving the main water flow in your tank?? curious :) also i like my sumps to be big enough to take out what every your bi-weekly water changes would be with out turning off your pumps !! mainly cause im lazy and would rather drip my new water in than mixing it up just right and then dumping it all in at one time !! i feel it also easier on the fish ect...
i would go with the largest overflow you can not the smallest !! rather be safe than worry about a flood !!

What did you mean you want to use it for water changes?

To ease water changes on the fish, so i can empty water from the tank, refill from the sump then add new water to sump. I think thats how it works??

Also lets say I do a 10g sump what size pump would i need to pump it back into the tank, i saw they have like mag7, and different numbers??

the pump has nothing to do with the sump size !!! the pump will have something to do with what your overflow can handle !! ya could make a sump out of a milk jug with a mag 9.5 if ya wanted but then your pump would run dry by the end of the day due to evaporation ya know!! heheh get the bigest sump/rubbermaid container ya can !! there are always something you will add or want to have room for so bigger the better :)

if you get a single tube over flow box (think they are rated for around 700gpr) it will handle a mag 9.5 due to the head of 4' !! i know that the cpr overflow
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CR1515 THIS CAN NOT KEEP UP WITH A 9.5 !!! unless you reduce the return hose on the pump !! i wouldnt buy one of these !! they not bad if ya watch them close but they can and will fail !! better with tube type

why i wrote ya to buy a larger overflow just seen one on ebay for like $50 with 2 drains !! which would handle around 1200 gpr mabe more !! im sure there is a site that would calc all this for you but not sure were its at !! but even if ya dint need that much flow trust me one day you will or at least might sell better if ya leave the hobby :)

Back
Top Bottom