Spending money

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
How easy is it to spend like $1000 on this hobby I am setting up a 20 gal and gonna put a few extras on my 55 but I'm close to a grand already it's crazy

Ya it can go fast especially the more automated you want the system. I'm pricing out my first big tank for after I move and I'm up at $900 before I even get to rock ( ~190 gal so ~220 lbs and that's not counting a 40b fuge I'm planning on) so I feel your pain.

I'm looking at about 390 for lights 150 for a skimmer then rock and water hopefully my misses doesn't check my bank statements hahah

Ya I know what you mean. The fiancé told me to keep this build under $750. That's not gonna happen ...... oh well what they don't know won't hurt them, and they'll appreciate it when it's done

The good thing about being single.. Nobody watches your money expenditures :)

Thankfully my planted tank is growing fast enough that selling my plants is supporting the freshwater side of my hobby. Hopefully I will eventually reach the same place with saltwater (once equipment costs are out of the way)

There's plenty of normal ways to cut costs though. DIY, buying used, dry rock, and searching for deals will all cut quite a bit of money off of your bill.

Ya that's the nice thing about established systems, they can turn profitable by selling frags.

I don't think I could ever turn a profit in this hobby haha. For the number of small frags I sell, I also donate or buy more frags in equal or greater amount. It's a vicious circle. But it does help to save money.

Yea I got one established tank but I want to up grade lights on that and the new tank will be getting all the good stuff straight up I would buy second hand stuff but for some reason everyone on gumtree wants retail for there stuff :/

Back
Top Bottom