Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-17-2004, 03:08 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by AquaBear
I'm speechless. My orange Linkia was doing so well, and then I come home today and found three sizeable gashes on it. It's all crinkled up and looks dead. I suspect one of my hermits is the culprit, because it's the only living thing near it. And I just caught it on top of one of my snails, like it was attacking it, so I grabbed it and threw it to the other end of the tank.

I thought hermits were relatively harmless to stars? Anyone else ever notice hermits being aggressive? I'm not having this...I'll yank every crab right out of there first and pop them like bubble wrap.

Ouch! can't answer the hermits part of the question, just remember inocent until proven guilty mate!

fingers crossed he makes a full recovery......

Cheers Shelton.

30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.
Custom Built lid; 2 x T5 megatwin (4x39W Aquablue+); 4 moonlights.

IKS with temp & PH probes, controlling lights,heat & cooling fans.

Percula Clown; Banggai Cardinal; Firefish; Mandarin
2 Cleaner Shrimps; 3 Peppermint Shrimps; 1 Blood Shrimp
1 Large Feather Duster; 1 Hard Tube Coco Worm; Yellow Cucumber.
6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
22 Turbo/Astrae Snails; 20 IO Snails
Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:05 AM   #52
Originally Posted by jennymit21
sorry .. not trying to hijack the thread but someone said earlier that their blue linkia was easy?
Farthest thing from the truth. Linkia's in general are quite hard to keep and need a rather large mature reef system before attempting one. Some might get lucky with less but it is the exception, not the rule.

Old 08-19-2004, 01:28 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey gang....no, he didn't make it. :-( There wasn't anything wrong with him that I could tell, but I'm certain he didn't do it to himself. Plus, later that evening, I saw this same crab on top of one of my snails, so I'm convinced I've got an aggressive crab in there.

And I have to agree with Steve-S. When I was looking up some other references on-line in reference to Linkias, I read a statistic that said Linkias have an average 90% mortality rate within days/weeks of capture. That may be a little on the high side, but still raises an eyebrow. If I'd have read that, I think I might have thought twice about getting one. You would think by now I'd learn not to take LFS sales person's advice on how easy things are to keep.

By the way, I didn't mean to hijack the thread either...I started by thanking whoever it was for the advice on acclimating stars.

In order of setup:

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
FW2-5g, 1 Baby Gold Marble Angel (raised from fry), 6 Zebra Danios
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW3-30g, 2 mated Gold Marble Angels (Oscar/Yenta)
SW2-20g, QT, currently empty
FW4-30g, currently empty
FW5-20g, 2 Gold Angels (non-paired)
SW3-35g (REFUGIUM for SW1) - EVIL ChocChipStar, Nassarius and Turbo snails
SW4-55g, 4 BlueGreen Chromis, King's Crown snail.
AquaBear is offline   Reply With Quote

ich, starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com