Stocking my 70 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsay1718

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,
Well I am setting up my 70 gallon this week and just got my quarantine set up. A friend of mine is giving me a sponge out of his sump to seed it and to seed add to seeding my 70 gallon. So would it be ok to go ahead and get my 1st fish to put in quarantine so when my tank is fully cycled I can transfer him in and get my 2nd? If so here is my stocking list. I'm not sure if it's too many or if I will still have room, being this is my 1st SW setup. Also how long before I can add some mushrooms and some softies? Also I know nothing about CUC . Whet and how many should I get? When do they needed to be added?

1 (maybe pair) clownfish
1 kole tang
1 flame angel
1carpenter flasher wrasse
1 yellow watchmen goby & 1 pistol shrimp
I think I may be forgetting something, but of this list who should be added 1st?

Lindsay

Lindsay1718 said:
Hi everyone,
Well I am setting up my 70 gallon this week and just got my quarantine set up. A friend of mine is giving me a sponge out of his sump to seed it and to seed add to seeding my 70 gallon. So would it be ok to go ahead and get my 1st fish to put in quarantine so when my tank is fully cycled I can transfer him in and get my 2nd? If so here is my stocking list. I'm not sure if it's too many or if I will still have room, being this is my 1st SW setup. Also how long before I can add some mushrooms and some softies? Also I know nothing about CUC . Whet and how many should I get? When do they needed to be added?

1 (maybe pair) clownfish
1 kole tang
1 flame angel
1carpenter flasher wrasse
1 yellow watchmen goby & 1 pistol shrimp
I think I may be forgetting something, but of this list who should be added 1st?

Lindsay

They're all peaceful except for the angel can be semi-aggressive. So I would say add the angel last of this group. The kole tang can be kinda shy and timid, so I would add that one first if it was me. Then the wrasse, goby/shrimp, clowns , then angel.

Beengirl said:
They're all peaceful except for the angel can be semi-aggressive. So I would say add the angel last of this group. The kole tang can be kinda shy and timid, so I would add that one first if it was me. Then the wrasse, goby/shrimp, clowns , then angel.

+1 on that.

Firefish are very shy, would put him in first or second. He'll make a little burrow to hide in, probably under a rock.

So would he stay there? Is the purple fire fish one of those fish you would never see? If so, I might reconsider. Any other recommendations, or fish I should take a look at? Thanks.

Lindsay

Once he gets comfortable, he'll come out. It'll take maybe a week or less. He'll sleep in the burrow and dart there when he's startled. They're very cute fish.

I would say you could get a couple more small fish, but see how your water parameters are first with these.

If your QT is cycled, then I'd go ahead and put a fish in there. Make sure you check the levels of ammonia, trite and Trates everyday, and do PWC as needed though so the fish is ok. When I cycled my 30g, I took a cup of sand, some LR and some filter media from my 55g and put it in the filter for the 30g to seed it and it still took about 10 days to fully cycle. But that's way shorter than the 4 weeks it took me to cycle the 55g.

Sorry-for CUC, I use astrea snails, banded trochus snails, conch, scarlet reef hermits, about 20 Nassarius snails, zebra hermits, had some cerith snails-only 1 left after pistol shrimp ate some, I have a ruby crab-wish I hadn't gotten it though, a blue linkia seastar in the 55g( don't recommend-difficult to keep alive). Don't get everything at once though, you need to give tank time to build up some algae or else they'll starve.

Lindsay1718 said:
How come some people don't like hermits? What and how many should I get 1st?

Some women think they're creepy, like spiders with shells. Lol. Some don't like that they might kill snails. The scarlet reef are less likely to kill snails or other hermits. I would start off with about 5-6 snails, few hermits and depending on what your sandbed looks like, a conch. If your sandbed still looks perfectly clean, wait on the conch. Then just add some snails and hermits every week til you get to a good amount. I have about 20 Nassarius, about 30-35 snails total, a conch and a seastar in my 55g. And they do tend to die periodically, so keep an yet out that they haven't all died and replace as needed.

Lindsay1718 said:
What about shrimp?

Highly recommend a skunk cleaner shrimp!!! They have such great personalities!! And unlike a lot of shrimps that hide all the time, they are out front and center all the time. So cute!!!

Back
Top Bottom