Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Stress coat

Just purchased a bi colour angle the guy at the lfs did not use stress coat on him and he is not doing too good he is lying on his side been in the tank for 3 hours now I have a few questions about this 1.how well dose the bi colour adjust to a new tank and 2. is it common practice not to use stress coat

Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

My Bi color Dwarf angle was a picky eater at first. After a while he got with the program and ate the mysis shrimp and flakes. At first I would just see him eat the cyclopeze. See if he is eat'n or at least try'n to, maybe thats the problem. The reason I say this is because I did alot of read'n about them and it says they are tough to feed. I have no experiance with stress coat in my saltwater tank. When I first started the owner of the fish store told me there is no need for it. So knock on wood I've never had an issue with it and my tank has been go'n close to 3 years. I'm sure it has some benifit and there will be more experienced people on here that will streer you straight with the real ins and outs on that. All I can say is check you parameters and surf the web to find out as much as you can on the Bi Color. In most of the books I own they say it's a tough fish to keep. Plus I'm sure a real knowlegeble person will pop up on here with a few tricks that may help. Here is a link to get an Idea of the parameters and whatnot. Good luck.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Bicolor Angelfish Dwarf Angel

Old 04-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`ve never used Stress coat. It`s not needed. Pristine water conditions are needed. Speaking of, what are your water test results?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's not that he is not eating he has only been in the tank 6 hours he's just in a cave on the bottom and I was wondering if they are a problem when first introduce to the tank got a little Saddle Valentini Puffer in a 200l/55g tank with live rock
Old 04-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Test results are ammonia 0
Nitrates. 0
Nitrites. 0
Ph. 8.
Saddle Valentini Puffer in thank is fine I'm think it had to do with stress
Old 04-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

R I P bi color angle he didn't make it
Old 04-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh man that sucks. sorry to hear that. Did you acclimate the Bi Color before introduce'n him to the tank? Will you be able to take the fish back and at least get you're money back consider'n he was only in the tank a few hours?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

How did you acclimate the angel?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Had him floating in the bag in the top of the tank for 15 mins then added a cup of tank water every 5 mins did this twice then added the fish not the bag water this is what I did with the Saddle Valentini Puffer had no problems with him I'm thinking he got stress traveling.
I think the lfs where I got him from have a no return policy which I can kinda understand as he was fine in the store i will call them today to see what they say
Old 04-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Keysman, You are probably right and I know you're other fish acclimated well with the technique but I recommend do'n it the same way but when you let the bag float in the tank for 15 mins and then add a scoop of water every 5 mins you should add tank water til the bag is full then dump out half and add tank water every 5 mins again til it's full then add the fish by itself. It may not have helped but with a tricky fish like that you should go the extra mile and be extra careful. I do that with all my new additions and so far so good. I hope everything works out for you and good luck with you're next fish.

Tags
stress, stress coat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com