Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2005, 05:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to steinbrook4
Sump recommendations Please!!!

A few quick questions I'm hoping someone will have the answers too-

1. When placing 40-50 pounds of LR in a 30 gallon tank what is the loss in water volume? Have yet to find the calculator for this one!!

2. I have 10" of clearance on the bottom shelf of my tank stand, not even high enough to fit a standard 10 gallon. I'm trying to figure in some way to have a sump to boost my water volume and hide all my equipment in a space measuring 35" x 20" x 10". Also would like to use my Aquac remora HOB skimmer in my sump instead of on my main tank.
Any or all Suggestions would be very much appreciated for possible sump ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So PLEASE fire away!!!!

Old 01-24-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Location: From the Chicago Burbs, stationed in Okinawa, Japan
2. Try a rubbermaid that will fit. Also, why not get the AquaC Urchin. It's the same as the Remora, but setup to be used in the sump.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i second the rubbermaid type container. Lots of shapes and heights. That should do just fine. No need for anything fancy.

Jim
Old 01-24-2005, 07:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Location: From the Chicago Burbs, stationed in Okinawa, Japan
Nevermind, I see you already have the Remora. A rep from AquaC told me, all you have to do is make the tube for the PH longer, and rig the Remora so that it will stand straight. She told me to take off the screws in the back, and build something to make it stand.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
I once calculated that rock is around 12 lb per gallon. Clearly it's more than the 8.4 lb/gal that water is (else it would float). also it varies with the type of rock.

I could be wrong of couse, but I think this is pretty close.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com