Temp too high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im working on my tank for a lionfish. I don't have a heater and the temp is 82. I read that 78 is max for a lionfish. Is this ok and if not how do I get the temp to drop?

Put a fan on it. A fan will lower the temp quite a bit. If the fan doesnt help you will need a chiller. But fans work very well. You should get a heater. What if the fan lowers temp too much?

Put an ice cube in the tank :)
Just kidding Bige is very right the fan method works very well... I used it when I was in my hot dorm room earlier this year with great sucess

I'll try the fan then. And I don't have a heater in the tank but I didn't say I don't have one in my spare fish supply box

If your gonna use a fan, make sure your don't have a glass cover over your tank. With no lid and a fan going over the surface of the water, you are going to have dramatic evaporation from your tank. You will need to stay vigilant and top off the tank frequently

I do not used lids, covers or canopies on my tank and I always hang the lights. It gets hot in the summer time where I am and a cover can easily raise the water temp above 85 degrees, even with the AC on.

If you are worried about him jumping out, you can use mesh screen (stretched between a make shift wooden frame) or egg crate to cover. The idea is too let the heat out of the water and allow for good surface O2 exchange. Also, try pointing power heads towards the suface to agitate.

I would definitly get a heater. Stability is important for any animal in a SW fish tank.

I'll try adjusting the power heads and fold up a lid and see what happens.will a skimmer help cool it I just got mine today. And I have a spare heater it's just not in there

Back
Top Bottom