There is some kind of shrimp in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsPeel

Aquarium Advice Freak
That title sounds stupid but I don't know how else to put it. While doing a water change on my tank that is cycling, I noticed to little beady eyes staring back, when I made eye contact he disappeared. Curious, I saw a silhouette of him. Unfortunately, I don't know if it is a manits or any other type of ship. Out of my entire shipment of 25# I had only 2 snails alive and a few worms, then today this. Since this unidentified shrimp is not coming out is there a way for me to identify him?

My guess is it is a mantis since I used to have 2 snails and now they have disappeared. There was a dead mantis in the box I got the LR in, so if I had one, logic would say this is another.

P.S. If/when I catch what do I do with it...I do not want to keep it.

Well without any type of pic or description, indentification would be very difficult. If it is a mantis shrimp, then you should know that they are know to be very "shy" but are quite aggressive. if you are able to "catch" it, then perhaps you could trade it in to your LFS for something you may want.

I hope this helps.

Also..If you think it is a mantis...keep your fingers away from its burrow. I have an article on them complete w/ pics if you are not sure what a mantis looks like.

I figured out, or heard the the clicks....*sigh* figures everything else did in my shipment except this sucker. Well tomorrow I will start making traps. Thank you steve-s for the link I found it a interesting read. Maybe when I catch him, I will give him to someone who "loves" his kind.

If it is a mantis shripm...you might want to get him out of there as quick as possible....I read an article which stated that there were reports of mantis shrimps tapping on the glass over and over till it cracks and breaks.........I dont know about you but for me that would not be fun at all!!!!! Your LFS should sell traps for mantis shrimps...I know mine does...check with them

CustomAquariums said:
If it is a mantis shripm...you might want to get him out of there as quick as possible....I read an article which stated that there were reports of mantis shrimps tapping on the glass over and over till it cracks and breaks.........I dont know about you but for me that would not be fun at all!!!!! Your LFS should sell traps for mantis shrimps...I know mine does...check with them
While I agree that mantis can be quite destructive to reef inhabitants, I have yet to hear any personally confirmed reports on the mantis breaking the glass. I'm not saying it isn't possible, just highly unlikely.

A trap as suggested should help, if not you can always dunk the rock it's holed up in with some prepared seltzer water mixed to the same salinity, temp and ph as the tank. They will generally evacuate quite fast. Just be sure you have something safe to place the shrimp in while it waits for it's new home or the LFS and you have something handy to pick the shrimp up with like plastic salad tongs. Be sure to wear thick (new) rubber gloves and do not pick the shrimp up by hand.

Cheers
Steve

Oh I agree.....Its hard to believe the mantis breaking aquarium glass...I personally have never seen it happen but just quoting an article in a fish mag shown to my at my LFS.

I have been hearing the telltale clicks since I got my live rock in January. I have yet to see the culprit or note anything missing. I did find a pistol shrimp today cleaning out my sump. I put him back into the display tank. As to the clicks....hopefully Ill find the source but till then Im not sweating it.

Back
Top Bottom