Tim's 29gal Biocube Reef / Angler Fish tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you feed the angler you can give him shark formula, they are cube of meat that you can cut in slices and every fish I have owned (stingrays, triggers, puffers, bamboo shark, tang, wrasses) has loved them. It's also very nutritious and is a blend of different foods.

Live aquaria I think says to feed live shrimp at first with these type of feeders. Also they sell saltwater feeder shrimp sometimes.

Bought a replacement ballast and a small fuge light.

Tuesday I will order my rock from BRS.

After that, it's aquascape, fill water, looooooong cycle, few corals, CUC, chaeto and finally the angler. Though I still plan to QT for a few weeks too.

Cool deal Tim it's coming along nicely . I think I will start my scrubber this weekend and check my tank i think it may be cycled . Do you have a recommendation for lighting for mushrooms? My tank is 2 feet tall.

I know my ricordias did well under 4 T5's and just as good under LED. My hairy mushrooms are the same case. The "regular" $5 flat red mushrooms grew well under overhangs and inside caves that see no light at all! They are really low light demanding.

I'd say my recommendation would be t5's - good balance between cost and function, and you'll easily be able to keep any type you want.

So you think a 4 bulb or 2 bulb setup. Sorry for jacking your thread here i havent had a lighting response on mine.

Honestly, I'm usually one to get more than I need, so I would buy the 4-bulb to be on the safe side, rather than find out later I didn't have enough light.

Another option would be to look into the TaoTronics LED's on ebay. They are pretty inexpensive, like $130 each, and according to a few reputable people on here that have them, they are able to keep SPS with them, so low light corals like shrooms would be gravy, and you'd get the shimmer effect ~ all for less money than a nice 4-bulb.

The Aquaticlife fixture I have is fantastic as far as I'm concerned. I had ATI bulbs in it, but it was easily growing out even easy SPS in my 54 for a while.

I have a 24" version.

Thanks so much for the help Tim. I'm about to update my 45 build with some good news and see I'f I can get more opinions on the lighting situation . I was going to order a two bulb odyssea fixture but maybe I need four. I'm 100% clueless on corals .

If you don't do LED's, and go with the T5's, I would highly recommend a 4-bulb simply because, you won't stick to mushrooms. As soon as you see how cool they are, you are going to really really want to try a torch, or a frogspawn, or a hammer, or some other cool coral and you're gonna be wishing you had just a little bit more light.

Thanks. Yes I do have a frag tank. On my 54 gallon build there is pics and discussion of it in the last few pages somewhere ;)

Just went to the lfs, and saw the angler you are getting! No joke, it was the size of my thumbnail and it was 150 bucks!! How big do they get?

Back
Top Bottom