Tim's 29gal Biocube Reef / Angler Fish tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ordered Chemi-pure elite and purigen from Amazon, with my prime membership is was actually a few dollars cheaper and two-day shipping.

Which SilenX fans should I be looking for? There are hundreds of options.

Also I removed both false bottoms in the back chambers so I can add a heater the chamber 1, media rack and fuge in chamber 2, and the MJ1200 in chamber 3.

Ideas on a good heater? The one for my 54 is crazy long.

Also I'm cutting the hole in chamber 1-2 to make it bigger for more flow.

Went ahead and ordered the media basket, fuge, and fish saver combo. If I don't like it, I'm sure I can sell it.

Also picking up a bag of poly fill from wal-mart tonight.

I know where I live a 50 watt heater will be more than enough for a 29 gallon. Also I must say you are getting way ahead of me on your angler build and I am jealous lol. Can you slow down just a little.

Just ordered two of those fans off amazon - $25 shipped. Not bad. Now to find a ballast!

For food, I've heard to start most Anglers start on ghost shrimp. Are these readily available at most LFS?

What does "gut-loaded" mean?

Lastly, what are the alternative food sources that I need to look into?

Gut loaded is feeding the prey with a balanced diet so when your angler eats it they get all the benefits.

Yep it's pretty simple. You just don't want to feed him shrimp or anything that hasn't eaten. It will keep the angler full but it will not really benefit him .

For food, I've heard to start most Anglers start on ghost shrimp. Are these readily available at most LFS?

What does "gut-loaded" mean?

Lastly, what are the alternative food sources that I need to look into?
OK ,this is the tricky part to these guys..I have been very lucky to get both of mine on frozen foods very quickly(just fed the new one a scallop today)
Ghost shrimp are FW feeders,,They will only last an hour or 2 in the tank..Gut loaded just means they ate something good and have a full belly of nutrients
I tried them with the new one and he had NO interest ..He did end up eating a chromis, which took a couple days ..
I feed my older one table shrimp,trigger formula cubes,scallops and chromis (one or 2 every other month)

Thanks for the info. I'm up for the challenge! I've got a while to go so I'll be looking for food sources nearby and come up with a game plan.

Lastly, I found the home of this tank. It's on a small side table now, but replace that with the stand and you see the spot, right next to the office desk.

Back
Top Bottom