Tim's 29gal Biocube Reef / Angler Fish tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TLTGF

Aquarium Advice Addict
Tomorrow morning I am picking up a 29 gallon Biocube. My end game with this tank is to base it around the needs of a White / Maroon Wartskin Angler. :fish2:

The tank is going to be a "biocube friendly" reef, with corals that can be sustained within the confines of the set-up.

I am completely new to the Biocube system, so any and all comments, feedback, guidance, advice, or help with certainly be appreciated. I, of course, will also be searching and learning things as I go. :hide:

This is not however my first Reef, as I already have a 54 gallon corner tank, which I have had running for nearly one year, and successful for about 4-5 months. I have a good understanding of saltwater and reef basics.

As stated, this tank is going to be build around one fish ~ the angler. I would love to hear experiences, advice, etc. from people to have owned or do own an angler / frogfish. :fish1:

As far as I know, this tank is completely stock, so any help with modifications and such to help my get this running better would be great. :thanks:

I'm planning to house a small refugium with chaeto in the back as I've heard it done, but not sure how yet.

As I continue on, I will keep the updates, and be sure to include LOTS of pics.

Thanks for all your help / advice, and thanks for following along! :popcorn:

So sexy. I just want to follow this thread. If I could keep multiple tanks the frog fish would definately be in one.

A great place to start is here IMO

inTank Aquatics

I have the media rack with filter floss, purigen then chaeto. Also I'm running the Tunze 9002 skimmer with the upgraded cup and did the air line mode. I upgraded the stock pump to the MJ 1200.

Here's my video

Here's the video for the air hose mod on the Tunze 9002

Photo Storage

Chamber 1 houses my chemi pure elite and phosguard and heater. Chamber 2 has the inTank media rack and skimmer. Chamber 3 has the MaxiJet 1200. Hope this helps. Also I cut the tab where the stock bio filter went to allow for more water flow.

Hope this helps a little. I also did an LED mod using the AI SOL BLUE LED system. I cut the the hood to fit it and was able to keep the stock splash guard.

View attachment 83853

View attachment 83854

View attachment 83855

Here's the air hose mod. It make for better skimming and you don't have to remove the cup to tune it.

View attachment 83856

View attachment 83857

Here is the media rack by inTank

View attachment 83858

View attachment 83859

View attachment 83860

View attachment 83861

And here is a FTS

View attachment 83862

Last edited:
That is fantastic information and exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Picked up the tank today. Pics will follow in next post. Easier to upload directly from iPhone than to email, upload, attach, etc.

Anyway, here is what I have found by giving it a once over:

1. The sand included looks SUPER CLEAN, like its never been used. Its really nice feeling, and other than a few dead snails and hermits in it, it is spotless. Can I reuse it?
  2. The back of the tank is covered in a nice layer of coralline, so no complaints there.
  3. The pump has been changed to a Maxi-jet 1200.
  4. The "light" that was broken, appears to me now to be a bad ballast. The white bulb was working and the fan is very LOUD. The blue bulb nor fan was working. I swapped the ballasts and the blue bulb came on, but no fan, but when I turned on the white side, the fan came on, but no bulb... Does this sound like a bad ballast and bad fans?
  5. Over all the tank looks decently clean for having been sitting in the garage. The glass appears to be nice and clear.
  6. There are no other mods done that I can see.
  7. The moon lights were working also.

My plan is to add 10lbs of Tonga branch rock and another 35lbs of BRS Pukani or Eco dry rock to the tank.

I'm hoping the group buy will yeild some nice discounts.

Also where is the best place to buy purigen, chemipure, and phosguard?

Do I need all three? Never used anything like this before. How about carbon?

Where can I get the media bags from?

Thanks!

Also, I took apart the hood of the tank today and cleaned it up, got all the dust out. Found one broken fan and fixed the noisy one. I'm going to buy two just to be sure, and also I need to replace one ballast.

For flow, I have a few Koralia 750's laying around that I planned to use, at least one of them - In the end I'll probably upgrade to an MP10es, and also do the AI sol mod, like convict. I don't want to see two huge PH's in this small of a tank, plus I think the frog fish likes lower flow if I'm not mistaken.

One more question - should I just replace the sand to be safe, or can I reuse the stuff it had in it?

If I am replacing, what is a good place / type of sand?

Thanks again - I feel like I'm starting all over again!

This is how I think I'm going to set mine up, until I see if a skimmer is necessary with such a small tank and only one or two fish.

Also where is the best place to buy purigen, chemipure, and phosguard? if you're ordering the media baskets & such from intank, you can get it from them & save on shipping. unless you have an order going for DR foster then I'd get it from there since i think it's a bit cheaper

Do I need all three? Never used anything like this before. How about carbon? Chemi pure elite replaces carbon & lasts longer. it also contains GFO in the elite version so it gets rid of phosphates too.

Where can I get the media bags from?Chemi pure elite & purigen come in bags already

see my comments

Thanks Red! You always seem to have a hold on everything!

I'm not 100% sure on the colors - I've heard they can change and will adapt their camo to match colors in your reef.

Chemipure elite is cardon and gfo. You don't need phosguard unless you have high phoshates. Other wise that is what the gfo is for. You dont really need a skimmer if you keep up on your water changes. I don't think the media basket media rack is worth the money. It breaks the rules of water. I would set it up like convict stated. Just use the extra room for more chaeto. Did I see 2 heaters? I would just use one.

As far as the lights, sounds like a bad ballast. Also get silentX fans. You just need longer screws and are completly silent. Also, fans should be replaced or inspected every 6 months.

And that fish is amazing! where you find it?

Thanks Red! You always seem to have a hold on everything!

I'm not 100% sure on the colors - I've heard they can change and will adapt their camo to match colors in your reef.

The one you picked out looks pretty cool! Do you know how big they get? Thanks again!

Bige said:
Chemipure elite is cardon and gfo. You don't need phosguard unless you have high phoshates. Other wise that is what the gfo is for. You dont really need a skimmer if you keep up on your water changes. I don't think the media basket media rack is worth the money. It breaks the rules of water. I would set it up like convict stated. Just use the extra room for more chaeto. Did I see 2 heaters? I would just use one.

As far as the lights, sounds like a bad ballast. Also get silentX fans. You just need longer screws and are completly silent. Also, fans should be replaced or inspected every 6 months.

And that fish is amazing! where you find it?

Great info. The fish in the picture is just a google image I found, but initially another user just bought one from DD on LA and I saw one there but it sold while still in my cart!

It's called a Maroon / White Wartskin Angler or frogfish. They run about $130 when purchased at 1".

Ordered my stand today - should be here Saturday morning. Gotta love amazon prime!

Then I can really start getting it set-up.

Back
Top Bottom