Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Almost forgot! When I came home tonight... About 30 minutes ago, I looked in the tank, just moon lights and it looked like a huge sandstorm. I looked to see if the clowns were spraying sand and they were passed out sleeping. I looked closer as my tank literally looked like a huge snow globe. I had so many pods floating, swimming, crawling, and walking on the glass it looked like a blizzard. It was only two minutes and the lights turned off.

I've heard that pod populations bloom and fall in cycles, but man, that's crazy pods!

Almost forgot! When I came home tonight... About 30 minutes ago, I looked in the tank, just moon lights and it looked like a huge sandstorm. I looked to see if the clowns were spraying sand and they were passed out sleeping. I looked closer as my tank literally looked like a huge snow globe. I had so many pods floating, swimming, crawling, and walking on the glass it looked like a blizzard. It was only two minutes and the lights turned off.

I've heard that pod populations bloom and fall in cycles, but man, that's crazy pods!

Wow, I hope I can get that many for my tanks! My future Mandarin(s) would be vey happy!

You'll notice that you get pod explosions every once in a while. Every few weeks the front glass of my 125g is literally covered in them. then after a few days the population goes back down to normal. :)

I heard about the "pod explosions" before, but had just never seen one in my tank. I guess I didn't realize how many there would be.

I'm the only person I know with a saltwater tank, so I never have anything to compare stuff to in person.

I'm thinking about looking for a local reef club here soon.

How does your pagoda cup look when it starts to grow new... Branches/heads? I've noticed several new small bumps on mine and I'm wondering if it is a good or bad sign.

I think you are thinking about a pavona coral, the pagoda that I have doesn't have branches it looks like a green cereal bowl full of 1/4" polyps.

TLTGF said:
I think you are thinking about a pavona coral, the pagoda that I have doesn't have branches it looks like a green cereal bowl full of 1/4" polyps.

Hmm, it was identified on here as a pagoda. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• image-4222246838.jpg
    image-4222246838.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 103
I believe it is. The branches are what I call polyps. :)

I purchased mine at about 6" in diameter so I haven't noticed new polyps, just bigger I guess.

You had some acros and montis that did pretty good even with your trates around 10ppm right. I got a Monti and Acro frag last weekend. My trates are about ten right now. They seem alright for now. I'm trying pretty hard to lower them with pwcs but its slow going.

Actually my Monti and acro were growing visibly daily with trates at 20ppm.

You should be fine, and good luck with the trate battle. I'm stuck at 5ppm, waiting to get my skimmer.

Just starting working on my custom DIY open / netting top for the tank. I still need a piano hinge for the front lid, and then I'll attach the net to it. The net is attached to the other part of the frame now - it fits great and keeps my light held up nicely.

Lighting

Tim, I have been following your thread though I have not posted. I just purchased a 54 corner bow front (in Nov) and have been researching, researching, researching to figure out what equipment to buy, etc. I got my RO DI water system set up last weekend so hopefully within the next week or two I can get my tank filled with water. I have been trying to decide what type of lighting to buy. I do plan to have a reef tank. Do you have LED lights or T5?

I have T5's at the moment and I'm quite happy with them. I have an AquaticLife 4-bulb fixture with ATI bulbs - (2) blue + and (2) aquablue specials.

I've had very good response and growth from all of my corals including a handful of SPS corals.

I am in no way against LED's and if I could afford to buy some or smart enough to DIY them, I'm almost positive I would have them.

Some of the others following this thread do utilize LED's on their tanks.

99% sure that the acro I just bought came with an Acro-eating crab! I pulled it off and put it in a small bowl.

Can anyone confirm that it is bad, I'd not it's back into the tank.

It's small 1/2in black and fuzzy with blue eyes.

Here's the new additions immediately after adding to tank...

It's an octo-frogspawn and a blue acro

Back
Top Bottom