Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you ever used restore by brightwell (I believe)? I've used that to bring a few corals back to life

Valentine's Day update:

In the tank:

Bleaching acro has me more confused as the bleached side is showing real signs of recovery and the "good" side is now showing signs of bleaching!

New "small" cleaner shrimp is missing, but as almost always is the case for my inverts - a few days in the tank and they molt. No issue there yet.

Concerned for the sixline as he is small 1 1/2" - and although he grazes on the rocks all day, I can't tell if he eats the flake food... He chases it, but couldn't see him eat. Mysis is fine, but I'll grab some brine as well.

(2) ricordia updates - (1) is splitting and nearly two. (1) is placed near a favaties brain, and seems that it may have gotten too close last night (possibly due to added flow) and gotten stung. Will relocate in a bit.

Bubble coral has been looking rather drab lately, so I may reposition it as well.

Elegance has gotten so big already that it's stretched out onto the front glass, will relocate it as well.

Fourth Koralia 750 will be here shortly and added to the mix. (2) will soon be replaced with two MP10's. The third may stay in and the fourth will be used for salt mixing.

Outside the tank:

Ordered a much nicer (12) outlet surge protector for the aquarium. An issue with the outside transformer was messing with my electricity and sending in 135+ volts. Luckily I had a digital voltmeter on my home theater surge protector so I could see fluctuations.

It will be arriving today as well.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

TLTGF said:
Valentine's Day update:

In the tank:

Bleaching acro has me more confused as the bleached side is showing real signs of recovery and the "good" side is now showing signs of bleaching!

New "small" cleaner shrimp is missing, but as almost always is the case for my inverts - a few days in the tank and they molt. No issue there yet.

Concerned for the sixline as he is small 1 1/2" - and although he grazes on the rocks all day, I can't tell if he eats the flake food... He chases it, but couldn't see him eat. Mysis is fine, but I'll grab some brine as well.

(2) ricordia updates - (1) is splitting and nearly two. (1) is placed near a favaties brain, and seems that it may have gotten too close last night (possibly due to added flow) and gotten stung. Will relocate in a bit.

Bubble coral has been looking rather drab lately, so I may reposition it as well.

Elegance has gotten so big already that it's stretched out onto the front glass, will relocate it as well.

Fourth Koralia 750 will be here shortly and added to the mix. (2) will soon be replaced with two MP10's. The third may stay in and the fourth will be used for salt mixing.

Outside the tank:

Ordered a much nicer (12) outlet surge protector for the aquarium. An issue with the outside transformer was messing with my electricity and sending in 135+ volts. Luckily I had a digital voltmeter on my home theater surge protector so I could see fluctuations.

It will be arriving today as well.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

I find my bubble coral is a good indicator of the tank conditions. Or- it could be splitting? My bubble split a while back and it looked like crap a few days before and a few days after. But now I have two. Lol.

Have you tried adding garlic to entice the wrasse to eat? Worth a shot at least

Rob, do you have any other power heads in your 54 corner other than the mp10s. I have 1 and am thinking about 1 more. The one seems to be doing alright but like the idea of having 1 more on the opposite side to add a different direction of flow

Rob has a standard 55 gallon tank - he's not one of us! LOL!

Also, I added the fourth powerhead about 10 minutes before coming to work. Funny thing is, it actually seemed to calm the tank down. It almost appears that there is less flow - interesting, I'll investigate when I get home or in the morning, and add pics of course.

I also got another 200 gallon of RCs delivered.

Tomorrow morning the Radion should be here as well.

Jlsardina said:
I find my bubble coral is a good indicator of the tank conditions. Or- it could be splitting? My bubble split a while back and it looked like crap a few days before and a few days after. But now I have two. Lol.

Have you tried adding garlic to entice the wrasse to eat? Worth a shot at least

That would be sweet! My parameters as of last night for the basics were 0,0,10, 79 F, 1.026, 8.0 pH, and I didn't test alk, or calcium.

I REALLY need to get my skimmer soon!

TLTGF said:
That would be sweet! My parameters as of last night for the basics were 0,0,10, 79 F, 1.026, 8.0 pH, and I didn't test alk, or calcium.

I REALLY need to get my skimmer soon!

Yea I was kinda surprised you got the radion before the skimmer. But I wasn't gonna say anything. Man it's funny how fast things get delivered when I'm not the one waiting. You guys are always like just got my whatever and I'm like didn't he just order that yesterday. Lol

Yea I was kinda surprised you got the radion before the skimmer. But I wasn't gonna say anything. Man it's funny how fast things get delivered when I'm not the one waiting. You guys are always like just got my whatever and I'm like didn't he just order that yesterday. Lol

It is worse when you have to build all your own DIY stuff. I would love to be able to just order up what I want. :brows:

rdnelson99 said:
It is worse when you have to build all your own DIY stuff. I would love to be able to just order up what I want. :brows:

Oh I wasn't even gonna mention the jealousy thing. I feel ya on that brother.

I bought a kindle fire and got amazon prime. That allows for 2-day free shipping, so the koralia and surge protect was fast. The radion and salt was offered from drsf&s on the 10th.

Skimmer and (1) MP-10 is in budget for March.

TLTGF said:
I bought a kindle fire and got amazon prime. That allows for 2-day free shipping, so the koralia and surge protect was fast. The radion and salt was offered from drsf&s on the 10th.

Skimmer and (1) MP-10 is in budget for March.

My dad slaughtered me when I accidentally got prime. I though it was a trial then the bill came lol

Both are nice. I just got that reef octopus. The only thing I like better about that bubble magus is you can disassemble the bottom for easier cleaning. But with that design, with the internal pump, you might be limited if you decide to upgrade it later on.

Good info, but getting a skimmer rated so high, I would HOPE I wouldn't need to upgrade...

That's actually another thing I was gonna say. What is the neck size on that magus? It looks pretty big. IMO you can't overskim but you can get a skimmer that is too big and you won't be able to get s nice consistent head of foam on it, unless maybe if it has a super nice pump.

Back
Top Bottom