Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love my 2 mp10s keeps my water moving really nice..... Also those skimmers r big but I don't think you will have a problem with keeping a good foam head with either of them..... You have a real nice bio load in there I don't see is having any issue. Just keep in mind you have to give what ever one you get a good week to brake in before it will really start to pull all the good stuff out

Tim with that tunze ato pump what did you have to get to make that work with the dyi ato you got from brs I still want to use that pump or go with tha aqua lifter pump

You will need a 12V DC transformer - basically a cell phone type charger rated between 9-12V.

I still never even hooked mine up, because I decided, since everything else is very nice, that I didn't want a hoakey looking set-up and figured I'd go with the JBJ ATO for now and use this DIY for something else useful.

Can you run that tunze pump dry? That's one nice thing about the aqualifter. It's basically an air pump so if it goes dry it don't damage.

Ok good to know thanks

And have you picked the skimmer your going to go with????
Me I would go with the BM skimmer if I had the money but the Harley killed that for me..... Lol

KAhner said:
Can you run that tunze pump dry? That's one nice thing about the aqualifter. It's basically an air pump so if it goes dry it don't damage.

No you can't run it dry but my top off is supplied direct with a float valve off my rodi so it won't go empty

I was leaning towards the BM honestly.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I swore that the Tunze pump had an auto-shutoff that if it wasn't submerged to a certain point it would shut itself down. Could just be wishful thinking though.

It dose but I don't think I would trust that for very long I would rather be safe with my top off being supplied from my rodi automatically so I don't have to worry about it

My current WISHLIST for BRS is:

(2) Vortech MP10's
Bubble Magus BM-NAC7 Cone Protein Skimmer
JBJ ATO
Vortech Battery Back-up
Hanna Phosphate Checker
Hanna Alkalinity Checker

How can you hook up a float switch to the RO unit? I can't figure out how to electronically shut my faucet off?

You usually start with a RO/DI filter that is plumbed in to run all the time. Then a small storage tank can be added and the float can turn the water on and off. If you have an electronic float switch, that can be attached to a small pump that uses water from a storage container. Using a appropriately sized container will help prevent a tank wipeout from a runaway float.

Well, okay, so I was picturing a t-connection under the sink or wherever, and they do you use an electronic ball valve or butterfly, hooked into the float switch, in the intake line to the RO unit.

I guess that's where I was confused.

Sorry Greg for my ignorance on this, maybe I'm just missing something obvious.

How are you stopping the RO/DI from running? If you have an RO hardlined into the water supply, wouldn't it constantly run because there is continuous water pressure?

How I make RO now is with a portable RO unit (same one several people have on here). I hook it to the faucett, run 30 gallons into a brute trash can for storage to make saltwater, and then I fill an additional 10 one-gallon jugs of clear RO for top-off manually.

I want to add another small storage container near my tank that would hold 5-10 gallons of fresh RO, and hook that to my ATO. Therefore I only need to fill about once per week instead of daily.

I have my rodi on the washing machine cold line and then I run it straight to my top off water to a float valve not a float switch then I t it off to my premixed water where another float valve is so as water is used it is toped off automatic thus keeping every thing filled up and teady

So the float valve actually stops the water from flowing through the fill line.

Thats where I was lost. I couldn't understand how the water would stop flowing.

Fantastic.

Edit* I love MAC by the way!

If this is a pressure type float (no electrical connection) it is designed to work off a pressurized storage tank hooked to your filter. You don't have to use the tank, but it has the advantage of giving you a few gallons on demand whenever you need it, nice for rinsing things, making up solutions, etc. The RO/DI filter would remain on all the time. It shouldn't discard any waste water until it is used. This is how my system works, but you have to keep an eye on it.

If you use a open freshwater storage container, it can be above the sump and gravity feed to the pressure switch. If you use a controller and a electronic float switch, you use a small pump to move the freshwater.

Yes it will stop the flop putting back pressure to the rodi unit shutting it off only if your unit has a shut off valve on it .....
It is a little box that will be on the top of your unit

Got it guys, thanks for the patience. I think the reason that I was having so much trouble understanding is because I have the cheap ebay $65 unit with no frills. Its just a quick and dirty.

As soon as my filters go bad on this one, I'm going to upgrade to the nicer 4 or 5 stage from BRS.

In the meantime, I figured for now I would just use the small pump method.

At this point, its more about keeping salinity in check and the ease of a once a week fill, rather than a daily top-off.

I'm still in an apartment for the time being, so I am somewhat limited as to what I can do.

Back
Top Bottom