Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #581
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a skimmer is in... I'll start the hunt. Thanks for the replies and the suggestion.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #582
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just add a refugium Tim. You will prob biniffit more from the skimmer & refugium than you expect. I use a Reef octopus 110 and it's outstanding.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #583
Aquarium Advice Activist

Custom Sumps/Filters
Old 12-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #584
Aquarium Advice Regular

Greg and TL thanks for the tip and link, I might plumb the skimmer to my inlet sock filter and see what happens. Probably gonna let the system run for a week or so to see if its the skimmer first. If the bubbles do not clear up I then will try the filter sock. Thanks for the tip. TL the link you sent me was for fresh water. Does this apply for saltwater a well? Thanks for all your help.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #585
Aquarium Advice Regular

KC I saw your link for custom sumps and filters. Did you get yours there? He does great work but the guy is not cheap. TL I don't know how handy you are but if you have a shop that sell acrylic near you they may cut some to the dimensions needed and you could glue it yourself. would be a lot cheaper.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #586
Aquarium Advice Activist

I called him and talked about a few things but ultimately I decided to go the MUCH cheaper route and use the sump the tank came with and add a refugium. I had a local guy build my fuge for a Bill and I'm happy with it so far.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #587
Aquarium Advice Regular

Kc, you said your fuge was 12 square x 24 tall correct? How do you like the setup? Where is your inlet to your cute, all the way to the bottom? Then does it gravity flow out of the top into your sump? Thanks in advance
Old 12-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #588
Aquarium Advice Activist

it's 13 square & I think it's great for where it fits. lol I had to mod the stand some but you could just do smaller than I did. If I remember I gained like 25 gallons between the sump & fuge. I do have the overflow run to the bottom of the fuge just above the sandbed with a tee facing the glass & some large rock. The overflow to the sump I actually cut in the wrong spot but I made it work ok, if you go back a couple of pages you can see how it's all run.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:28 AM   #589
Aquarium Advice Addict

Katoom, the article should give you all the same basics. Pretty much all that I saw different as I skimmed was an airstone - not needed.

I initially wanted this sump / refugium. Only issue is that the footprint for the skimmer was so small, I only found one that would fit. An eshopps model.

Amazon.com: Aqueon 34500 ProFlex Sump Model 1, 44-55-Gallon: Pet Supplies
Old 12-21-2011, 03:06 AM   #590
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not sure how your sump is set up katoom. Don't really feel like going back through the pages. But yea if you already have a sock you should move it to the skimmer return. You don't really want one on the overflow anyway. It's just a biological filter before it gets to the skimmer. It's not that big a deal, but you want the nastiest of your water going thru the skimmer first. Plus like Greg said it will probably knock out the bubbles. You shouldn't just plumb your skimmer back to the sump intake though, cause then you'll be skimming water that's already been skimmed. Like I said you want your dirtiest possible water going to the skimmer... ie your overflow water with nothing inbetween.

Tags
corner, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com