Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea I figured you had it covered. My first mp10 developed clicking noise coming from the motor side about a month after I started running it. I couldn't get it to stop. I called ecotech and their customer service was great. They sent out a new one with a return shipping label for my old one. Never had a problem since. I'm still contemplating another mp10. What did the second one do for you that the one couldn't, besides the obvious of more flow. Was it just a different flow. Scale of 1-10 on the importance of it. Thanks Tim

To tell you the truth, the settings I have my (2) set at, power-wise, is only slightly more than one at full power.

The pros of two: 1) Variable chaotic flow patterns 2) at full speed the MP10 is loud, two at 60% are silent. 3) one MP10 at full power kicked up tons of sand and caused the "whirpool" effect and sucked in water from the surface like crazy and blew bubbles - if I lowered it to eliminate the whirlpool, then my sandbed was toast. 4) I have to believe that the 2nd PH gets into the other side of the rocks, which may not have had sufficient flow with one allowing for a buildup of nasties on one side of the rockscape.

That's all I can think of. For the above listed, I'd say for me the importance of a 2nd PH was a 7.0 - 7.5 out of 10.0.

Tim thanks for the info, I'll prob be ordering one soon. Just to confirm you're only running the 2 mp10s, correct.

Georgia, Tim was referring to the mp10 power head not the ph. I couldn't answer your question regarding flow and ph but I'm sure someone from this site could. I wouldn't think flow has much to do with ph in my opinion.

Katoom - yes I am only running the (2) MP10's. I still have a 750 hidden in the back, but whenever I turned it on, it completely overpowered the tank and was way too much flow.

Georgia - I'm not 100% on all the factors that raise / lower pH. I do know that surface agitation of the water is supposed to help, and also that the pH will fluctuate throughout the day. Before the lights come on in the morning it will be at its lowest point. After the lights have been on all day, the pH should be at its peak.

I've heard from multiple trusted sources that chasing pH is pointless. 8.3 is the magic number, but my tank's pH has been at 7.9 at the highest for nearly a year.

I also know that the air outside the tank has something to do with it as well. Some people have to open their windows to get better air in the house.

Powerheads do play a factor with PH. If you point them to the top of the tank then there will be more gas exchange and in turn the PH in the tank will rise. Opening windows and doors in the room also help with gas exchange.

Edit: Oops sorry Tim, I literally re stated what you said since I commented before I read your post lol

Because of a large amount of orders from the March Madness deals, it delayed the shipment. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow morning via UPS.

I went ahead and set up a 10 gallon frag tank with a bunch of LR, eggcrate, a Koralia 750 and my 4-blub T5's and a heater.

I tested the water the morning and it was 0,0,0, 79F, 1.026... So I should be all set. I've got everything ready to dip all the corals in coralRX individually.

I'll take a picture or two of the setup when I get home, and I'll post more pics tomorrow morning.

TLTGF said:
Because of a large amount of orders from the March Madness deals, it delayed the shipment. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow morning via UPS.

I went ahead and set up a 10 gallon frag tank with a bunch of LR, eggcrate, a Koralia 750 and my 4-blub T5's and a heater.

I tested the water the morning and it was 0,0,0, 79F, 1.026... So I should be all set. I've got everything ready to dip all the corals in coralRX individually.

I'll take a picture or two of the setup when I get home, and I'll post more pics tomorrow morning.

I hope the the way they treat their coral has changed so I can go down there and get coral for my 4g

I'm hoping so, but thinking not. If all they do is frag all day and all night to keep up with orders, I can't imagine many frags sitting around healing...

I just hope I get lucky with a few. Honestly, it was the craziest impulse ever. I only have room in my tank for three or four and the rest are going to the LFS for trade or sell. I'm hoping they will buy my elegance too, it doubled in size and completely outgrew my tank in like a month!

I'd be happy to ship to you, but let me make sure they are even worth shipping... :)

So here it is, my MrCoral picture review.

I received tracking info last night at about 6:00p stating that the package shipped to be delivered by 10:30a. I received the package, UPS, at 9:36a.

The package bottom was soaking wet, so I was quickly concerned, but I never figured out where the water came from, though cleary it was from inside the box.

The packaging was okay, and the heater was still working, though the bag water was cold. All the small bags were wrapped in one large bag and sealed.

It was obvious that there was more care taken with the larger 1" frags and the "limit 1" frags. Double bagged / cleaner water.

The process was consuming as I dipped all corals before placing in tank. I attached a picture of the hitchhikers that I didn't trust. 5-6 reddish worm-like creatures with fans on the head or tail, and were swimming. They ALL came from one small bag on one coral. All other corals were free o any nasties, with the exception of a tiny starfish.

The March Madness free corals are a joke. They are tiny, 1/4" maybe for SPS, but the favia type free ones were okay. They also sent two, something's that I have zero clue what they are. They look like skinny cigarettes... Pic included.

After putting into tank, most stuck polyps out fast - the validia-style acros still no polyp extension.

95% of the corals actually appear to have some healing where they were fragged and I'm 90% sure that they are all the WYSIWYG frags that I picked.

All in all, I'm not too upset, other than I clearly misjudged the size. These are tiny tiny frags. I'd like to grow them out some to see what they actually look like.

Here are the pics:

Very cool! Sounds like you had a little frustration but all in all it sounds like everything is going to pull through. The grow part is the fun part though right? :)

Yup. I'm actually happier than expected. Most all corals are now extended and color is coming out. I can't remember if I mentioned in previous post, but three corals had broken off plug, so I re-glued them and no issue.

Other than the size, I feel I got some good stuff. Some of the negative reviews I read alluded to the corals dying after a week or two, so I'll keep posted if that's the case.

Thanks very much for the review. I have also been thinking of ordering from mr coral but was unsure. I will keep an eye out and see how yours do. :)

thanks again, great review!

Back
Top Bottom