Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TLTGF said:
AHHHHHHHHHHH! Ibrahim - thanks!

Of course. I'd hate to see a fellow reefer get scammed. Alot of sites with those cheap frags are the same. They just get a colony and cut of pieces, glue it to a frag, then post it to their site the next day. It's terrible and it's not even WYSIWYG. Alot of pictures are repostrd.

Well... I don't know what to do... they have a 30% restocking fee for any cancelled orders. That's $45 I pay for nothing.

I looked at a bunch of reviews before I went there, and they were certainly mixed reviews. It appeared to me that the negative reviews were from the 2009-2010 era, and there were less from the latter years.

I could be totally screwed. Honestly, I think I am just going to cross my fingers and hope for the best!

If I can get even five or six to survive, I'm still at the same point as I would be if I paid the $25-30 minimum per frag I would pay at the LFS.

Well if it hasn't shipped how can they charge you a restocking fee I would just call tomorrow and talk to them then call your bank and stop payment on it so u keep your money and they won't sent the frags..... It's worth a try

I got the site and read through the customer service notes. It states, once shipped price is final, and any cancellations while processing is 30%.

Honestly, I kinda want to at least see what it is like. I hate to "promote" the cultivation of corals from a company like that, but again I don't want to lose out on any money for nothing, and there were quite a few "GOOD" reviews that said they had multiple great services, some even had pictures.

The biggest complaint from people were that the corals weren't WYSIWYG as described, but mrcoral himself is fanatical to the point that they certainly are.

I'm hoping that I maybe lucky. The LFS that's near me either has no SPS at all, really crappy ones, or charge a boatload for a very small frag.

I think I'll all in on this one, but I will surely give an honest review on my experience.

Made a few stops today... Got eggcrate, coraRX, and... I went to an LFS that I don't usually go to and lets just say for now... 20% off hard corals.

Long update:

Bought the sheet of eggcrate - not sure if I'm gonna try to make an in-tank shelf, or just make a frag tank out of my 10 gallon with the t5's and the koralia PH's...

I also bought a small puck-light from HD, but now I'm mad because 1) I thought it was LED, and 2) I can't find the velcro strips I had to attach it to the stand wall!

The LFS I went to was a bit further than I normally go, and their prices are somewhat higher. I initially just went in for the CoralRx, and then left and went to some other places HD, etc., but I ended up going back to check out the coral selection. I happened to notice the 20% off HARD CORALS sign, and looked a little closer as the prices were at the top of the budget.

I was certainly suprised to see two of the "hard to find" corals that I really wanted for my tank. I'll upload the pictures from my phone after this post.

The coralRX worked really well. LOTS of little critters came off both corals, but nothing looking too nasty. Mainly a variety of starfish, pods, and a few miscellaneous stuff. I didn't see any of the usual suspects (flatworms, bugs, etc) which made me happy.

I'm pretty sure that CoralRX is just overpriced Pinesol, but don't quote me on that and kill your corals - it just stinks like wood cleaner.

Review of recent purchases:

Ecotech Radion LED: I couldn't be happier with this. The light in my tank is phenomenal, everything looks AMAZING. Things that grew well or "survived" my T5's, are growing and looking better than ever. I really like the ramp up and down throughout the day, and I currently have the Radion mimicing the Sunrise and sunset times of the Great Barrier Reef (Just for fun of course).

Ecotech Vortech MP10w ES: Overall, I couldn't be happier with these. I love how they work with each other and the lighting scheme. The program is fantastic and the corals and fish seem to be very happy.

The only negative things so far have been with the 2nd MP10 that came. 1st it was a bit loud out of the box. It quieted down within hours, but once in a while, it will start to make a louder noise. The same powerhead, twice now the wet-side has started spinning along with the propeller which is very annoying. You have to shutdown the PH, reposition, and restart and hope it doesn't start to spin again. This has only happened twice, but when it does, its super loud, and it creates tons of bubbles and splashes water out of the top.

I'd still buy them again in a heartbeat.

Reef Octopus NW110 Skimmer - pulling junk like CRAZY. I had two wet skims almost immediately, and since adding the DIY silencer, I've dialed in a drier skim, and it looks GROSS. I'm very impressed and very happy I purchased it FINALLY. NO bad things to say, period.

Mag-rock jr.:

Well, this thing has me on the fence. I initially got the exposure from mrsaltwatertank, and he was using it for frags. Well, as of now - I would say that sounds about right. My initial concern was that with (1) magnet in the center of the rock, any weight on top would just spin the rock and whatever was on it would fall. My suspicions were justified tonight. I tried to put a coral on it, and it was a joke trying to balance the coral without it tipping.

Unfortunately, I have to choice as I don't have room for that size coral anywhere else, so right now its fingers crossed until morning.

The rock is starting to get color after a few days, though it almost looks like diatoms instead of coralline. Its still early to tell.

The larger Mag-rock probably has multiple magnets and would work much better.

I'm not super upset about it, but I'm not thrilled either.

I'm going to upload the pics I could take at super low light sunset in the tank, and see if anyone can identify them. I'll put up the names of them in a later post. :)

My tank is new and still cycling. I also have a 54 gallon corner. Do you have your rocks resting on the glass in the back corner? I was thinking I needed to leave space away from the glass so I can clean the glass. Unfortunately, some of the smaller and light weight rocks I have keep falling forward so I was contemplating a different way to stack them.

My tank is new and still cycling. I also have a 54 gallon corner. Do you have your rocks resting on the glass in the back corner? I was thinking I needed to leave space away from the glass so I can clean the glass. Unfortunately, some of the smaller and light weight rocks I have keep falling forward so I was contemplating a different way to stack them.

You can use some zip ties if there are a lot of ins and outs. If you have a masonry bit or a few bucks for one at HD then you can drill the rock and use plastic rods. You can also use aquarium epoxy and even special cement to hold it all together.

Tim, just a quick tip regarding your mp10. I turned the power to the max setting and adjusted the wet side until I had no vibration and the least bit of sound. Hopefully this makes sense to you. It definitely worked for me, but maybe yours is already dialed in. Key is to have the setting on max

Sherb said:

My rocks aren't quite touching the glass, but they are close enough where I can not fully clean the glass. I don't even try to clean the side glass and I'm just letting the coralline algae consume it. I've seen many tanks online that the rock is up against the glass.

katoom27 said:
Tim, just a quick tip regarding your mp10. I turned the power to the max setting and adjusted the wet side until I had no vibration and the least bit of sound. Hopefully this makes sense to you. It definitely worked for me, but maybe yours is already dialed in. Key is to have the setting on max

Yup, I'm dialed in. I did the full throttle adjustment when I first added them. They really have been outstanding with just a hiccup here and there. 99.9% of the time, they are silent.

katoom27 said:

Show a picture of what your talking about

Back
Top Bottom