To add or not to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyMonkey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello again. Setup my 58 Gallon used tank. Have been running it now with the PC on for 5 days. My water is now at: Amonia=0, Nitrate=0-2, Nitrite=0 and a PH of 8.3. I was afraid my LR was actually dead rock but it turns out it looks ok. Question: Do you think I should wait a bit before adding any livestock to the existing 4 hermit crabs. (My son is itching for this) The hermits seem to be doing ok. Water had a tiny amonia spike on day 2-3. Uncertain of my next step at this point. Don't want to mess anything up. Thanks. 8O

If you have no die off of the LR then you need to add a piece of raw shrimp to get the cycle going... Add NO fish till you get the tank cycled. Adding fish now will cause a cycle and possibly kill the fish due to high amm and nitrites.
You need to cycle first, this can take several weeks..
Do you have LR? Is so how much and is it cured ?

I have around 50 pounds of LR and base rock in the tank. Seems as though I had some die off but not much. There was a big spike prior to the move though from what I gathered. I have more rock available. What used to be LR it seems. I am considering purchasing some additional good LR after the cycle. The rock is cured by the way. Thanks for the input again.

I missed the LR in the first post.. What was a big spike? How how was the ammonia and how long did it last. Like i said most cycles tank severl weeks, 3-4 maybe more.
I would hate to have Jr. have his first fish die because the tank was not cycled..
Adding cured LR now would be helpful and may help speed up the cycle process if you add the shrimp with it.

Then, shrimp tartar and LR it will be. Thanks again. :D I am not sure about the spike in the tank before I bought it. It had been sitting for a bit. He hadn't tested the water in a while. Experienced buy though. Not sure about the spike though.

I used Bio-Spira for saltwater to cycle my tank in November,added the fish the same day. It`s been 8 months and i`ve never had a problem. I must say I only added 2 small fish at first then waited a month before adding another.

When I started my 75 I used 110 lbs. of all cured LR and had a little spike of ammon. on day 2-3 and that was it for my cycle. After 1 month tank is doing great. Have 2 Oc. Clowns and a Purple Tang in the tank. I had a little incident with some green hair algae, but that is pretty much gone now.

Hmm. I read up on that Bio-Spira. Sounds good to me. I may try that. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom