Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Turning a 30g into a 54g.....Priceless

hey guys it me again. i got a crazy idea bruin.
i been thinkin alot and i was thinking about making my refuge bigger. i have a CPR HOB refuge currently holds about 5g. its nice and does a great job. but i got a 24g aqua pod beside my tank doin Nothing and i wanted to know what would the benefits of me making this aqua pod my refuge.
So instead of my tank holding 30g it would be 54g of total water.
i got a Idea how to do it but i am not shure if its worth doing. i was always told if its not broke dont fix it. well my current refuge work great. how would this help my tank.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think it will increase your microfauna population too much, if at all(depending on how it's designed). The journey through the pump on the way back to the tank would destroy much of it. Some may survive though. Fuges designed to feed the tank through gravity, whether it's a DIY tank/fuge or HOB type fuge, are best for this.

The benefit you would see is more water volume. That means greater stability. There would be less fluctuations in water chemistry, and also PWC's may not need to be done as often. Also having a larger area to grow macro algae in would allow greater export of nutrients. That, combined w/ greater water volume, means you could add more fish to the display, assuming aggression will not be an issue. HTH

Old 04-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I wouldn't add any more fish if you decide to do it due to oxygen being used up quickly if you had an extended power failure with an overstocked tank.

It doesn't seem you even have room for a hob overflow with your current setup and the fuge is too large to fit on the other tank.

IMO I'd stick with what you have which is easy and uncomplicated.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I'd use it for a QT.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Tecwzrd, about not increasing the number of fish in the display beacause of the power outages...I lost power yesterday morning at 6:10am and it didn't come back on until after 5:00pm. I was and still am concerened about how the tank is going to do with that many hours of no filtration. Furtunately I had a spare car battery that I was able to run one pump from, and my house is heated with a wood stove so temp wasn't a problem. I still had 11 hours of no filtration...very scary.

As for adding the aquapod to your system it could be done you would need a pump to get the water back up to the display and as MT said it could destroy the fauna on the way. I have my tank set up this way and really don't notice that as being much of a problem as I have tons of pods in all parts of my system.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea i got to think about this one. i am trying to find the ultimate filtration system. i have tryed them all from HOB bio wheels to wet-dry and i am not impressed with them. i like the natural way with the LR the most and thats why i was think of adding the aqua pod so i could add even more.
i wanted to shoot for 3times my water volume.
i will ponder on this one some more
Old 04-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecwzrd
I wouldn't add any more fish if you decide to do it due to oxygen being used up quickly if you had an extended power failure with an overstocked tank
That is a valid point. I was told when setting up a sump you could increase your bio-load, but it does come w/ risk. I've never really thought about that. Good point.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

IMO...nature is the BEST filter....nothing that we can make will even come close....go natural with your filtration and you will do just fine!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good idea, but using the aquapod seems like a pretty expensive fuge, considering what else you could do with the tank (hey...don't you need another reef in a different room?) I do like the idea of adding a fuge or even a sump for added water volume and biofiltration. I think you may be able to accomplish this for a lot less $$$ while preserving your pod for something else.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:38 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I tend to agree with Brian on this one...it is a nice tank to have hiden under your 30...but hey...do what you need to do...

Tags
30 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com