Under feeding, your thoughts??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kam

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gal tank with 4 fish, 2 damsels and 2 green chromis. Other than the fish, I've added 1 turbo Snail (large), 1 Emerald Crab, 1 Blue knuckle hermit, 3 peppermint shrimp and 4 scarlet hermits. There are several hitchhikers, including several small "gorilla" crabs, 3 urchins, numerous pistol shrimp, bristle stars, bristle worms, etc.

I feed the tank once per day in the am about 30 minutes after lights on. I alternate flakes (formula 1) and myst shrimp each day. Food is eaten or falls to the bottom within 5-minutes.

Today for the first time it seemed like a feeding frenzy in the tank. The peppermint shrimp and gorilla crabs rarely show their face during the day. All of them were out in the open and going after the food. I had never seen this before. I started to think I was under feeding, so I added a couple pieces of raw shrimp for the bottom feeders.

In your opinion, should I be feeding more, or more often or was this possibly just an isolated event.

I would think it was an normal event. Not that it happens noramlly. There may not be much food falling to the bottom which in a way is a good thing. Keeps the water balance better. I would think they were just trying to get to the food easier. With that few fish and feeding daily I would not worry too much. Just keep an eye for pinched bellies on the fish.

Funny you should mention pinched bellies. I found an empty hermit shell. Looks like someone removed a scarlet hermit from it's shell last night because I know I do not have any bigger shells in the tank at this time.

I alternate flakes (formula 1) and myst shrimp each day.
Well, I'm not sure about under feeding, but you could definitely use some more diversity in their diet. Flakes, in general, aren't a very reliable primary food source. They tend to pollute the water better than they feed the tank IMO. I would recommend you either start buying a good commercial frozen food like Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef for example, or start making your own "blender mush" w/ fresh seafood from the grocery store. Flakes should be a snack, not a meal.

Not feed more, but feed more of a variety. Your inverts need food too, that's probably why the scavanger hunt went on.

I feed my fish flakes in the morning and at night a mix of nori, mysis, plankton and bloodworms... i think variety is the spice of life when it comes down to our fishy friends..!

I think a major problem in this hobby is actually over-feeding. Quality over quantaty is good rule. I feed very lightly once every two or even three days. I hang nori once every other day. Stripes is right that variety id the spice of life, but so is moderation. Suppliment feedings with high-quality products instead of feeding more often. Feeding once a day is plenty, once evey-other day is just fine.

I'm with Lando on this one. My tank occupants would look starved regardless of how often I fed them. Maybe your inverts are just getting the routine now. I feed every other day. Usually some frozen blend (Formula 1/2; Prime Reef...).

Back
Top Bottom