Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Unexpected.

I came home late from poker, looked at my tank, and half my sandbed was on top of the other half, the rest of everything was buried. The cause u ask? My stupid suction cup maxi jet fell. And was pointing right at a corner of the tank on the sb. So expecting an ammonia spike i took out some water, filled a ten gallon, took some lr and all the livestock out and am using it as a holding tank, everything is super stressed but everything still looks healthy excpet for one damsel which i dont really care about. I noticed this at 3 am. Just my luck right
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-822119479.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	154195  

Old 02-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Had the same thing happen to me. I lost two clown fish. So for now I switched to the hang on holder for my power head until I can get some with the magnet holder.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I see, i even had a rock underneath it supporting it! Cause i knew ! I just knew lol my spike wasnt bad its inbetween .02 and .01 of ammonia, my tank is fairily new thank god! Everythings safe and doing well except for my cuc. oh well thats life i guess!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yep it sucks. Hopefully you won't loose any of your cuc.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks it means alot im glad you replied it was a real buzz kill coming home to this and having to do everything quietly im glad i could vent. Off to the grocers tomorrow to pick up who knows how many gallons of water ! I had to use about half gallon of tap water cause i accidentaly used to much salt ! I hope i dont run out of salt cause thats something i cant afford at the time! Ive got just under half of reef crystals 50gallon bag.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Those suction cups always fail. On a side note that's another reason a RODI unit is a must in this hobby, you really can't wait until the next day or a Monday or after a holiday to go get water in an emergency
Old 02-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

The same thing kept happening to me. I bought some cheap suction cup power heads of eBay. Every time the tank started to look good, one of those power heads would fall making a snow globe out of my tank. Then the hair algae would start. Finally bit the bullet and picked up some hydor Power heads. Now I'm good.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im gonna have to unfortunately keep using this mareinland circ pump im going to be pressing it down to the glass every time i feed from now on. Both tanks are stable now, just waiting on the display to clear up so i can transfer the rest back over. Only lost one hermit so far. But my clown and lawnmower blenny are freaked right out still
Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
Those suction cups always fail. On a side note that's another reason a RODI unit is a must in this hobby, you really can't wait until the next day or a Monday or after a holiday to go get water in an emergency
I fully agree. My water didnt foul much if at all. The display is just over 2 month in. Had a mini mini spike but its gone now, so i should have more BB now then i did before?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com