My Betta is not eating.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The temp is 80 degrees. Yes my fish was eating, but I noticed today the fish swimming, past the food. I did a wC, so maybe that is why. I try to get to the pet store. I also wounder if amazon would have live food. I'll have to look and see.

Amazon has Ultra Fresh Betta Fish Food, Betta Pro Shrimp Patties, 50% Sword Prawns + Akiami Paste Shrimps, All Natural Protein, Rich in Calcium, for Betta's Healthy Development and Cleaner Water, 0.7 oz

I take another look see what they have for betta fish, if they have any live foods. I also found this on Amazon
San Francisco Bay Brand Freeze-Dried Brine Shrimp
I am not sure if any of those would work, or not.
Those are freeze dried , not frozen. If it doesn't need to be stored in your freezer, it's not a frozen food. If the fish isn't eating the freeze dried foods you are already trying, it probably won't eat this one either. Frozen food is going to be best bought at the pet store, not on Amazon.
As for the fish sticks, I'm not sure if they are raw or partially cooked so I wouldn't use them. If you had fresh shrimp or fish that has had no seasonings or coatings added, you can try small pieces those. (y)

I note that you said you only feed the fish one pellet every few days. Do you not realize that you are starving it to death? How long have you had him?

They need daily feeding and while over feeding is not good neither is slow starvation. Depending on how long you’ve had him, if he won’t eat now it may well be because he’s weakened to the point of death. There comes a point where they’ve cannibalized too much of their tissues and the body is too far gone to save.

They need a lot more than one pellet per feed and while it’s ok to skip feeding one day a week I am very sorry to say that it is just not ok to feed the way you have been feeding, though I am sure you had the very best intentions.

I would like to see image of the fish - showing it from a full side profile and from directly above.

I note that you said you only feed the fish one pellet every few days. Do you not realize that you are starving it to death? How long have you had him?

They need daily feeding and while over feeding is not good neither is slow starvation. Depending on how long you’ve had him, if he won’t eat now it may well be because he’s weakened to the point of death. There comes a point where they’ve cannibalized too much of their tissues and the body is too far gone to save.

They need a lot more than one pellet per feed and while it’s ok to skip feeding one day a week I am very sorry to say that it is just not ok to feed the way you have been feeding, though I am sure you had the very best intentions.

I would like to see image of the fish - showing it from a full side profile and from directly above.

I learned from this messages here, to feed twice a day and I been doing that but the fish wont eat. My other betta is eating though. The fish got sent to me in the mail. I just fed my betta, the one that wont eat, some freeze dried food and some pellets and he still wont eat. they said in this forum to feed live food, which is what I am going to do, once I get to the super market. Which will be in the next day. I will take a picture of the betta. Here is a video is a little blurry, hope you can see the fish. let me know, thanks. I had the fish for on 1 weeks. He was eating once i got him, and I was feeding twice a day, so I am not sure what is a going on. My water quality is fine with o ammonia and 0 nitrates. The water is 80 degrees, so is warm enough for betta

Another video of my betta fish.

Another video of my betta fish.

I put a sinking pellet in the tank, and betta chased after it, not sure if betta ate it or not.

My other betta is eating though. The fish got sent to me in the mail. I just fed my betta, the one that wont eat, some freeze dried food and some pellets and he still wont eat. they said in this forum to feed live food, which is what I am going to do, once I get to the super market. Which will be in the next day. I will take a picture of the betta. Or a video I should say.

I learned from this messages here, to feed twice a day and I been doing that but the fish wont eat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just fed my fish some chicken, without skin, or seasoning. well betta went after it. However.. I do not know if my betta ate it our not, cause the small piece chicken went into my rock as it was sinking. but betta went into the rock.
When I tool the rock out of the tank, there was nothing in there, so betta must of ate it.

Now fish mom is going to put BBQ on my chicken, so I can eat it. There was nothing on the chicken when I gave to the fish, and what I did give the fish was very small.

My other betta, that is eating.. I could not see him eat the small piece of chicken He may or may not eating it. I searched for the meat, cause I do not want it rotting in the tank. I did not see the meat any where. i took a fish net and nothing came up.
Maybe my small cory fish, ate it, nice treat for them to eat.

The fact that the fish tried to eat is a sign that it doesn't like the freeze dried stuff you are feeding it more than it's sick or having medical issues. A sick fish wouldn't have gone after the food. Time to get better food. ;) (y)

Can these shrimp bite me?

The fact that the fish tried to eat is a sign that it doesn't like the freeze dried stuff you are feeding it more than it's sick or having medical issues. A sick fish wouldn't have gone after the food. Time to get better food. ;) (y)

Will betta eat these, or they live food? will these shrimp bite me? Sorry that sounds silly but they are live. I think they are live.

https://www.amazon.com/Betta-Fish-F...8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Will betta eat these, or they live food? will these shrimp bite me? Sorry that sounds silly but they are live. I think they are live.

https://www.amazon.com/Betta-Fish-F...8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Your fish has shown you that it does not want dead/unnatural food. That product is a dead food. Look for frozen brine shrimp or Live brine shrimp. That's the shrimp you are looking for. Amazon, to my knowledge, does not sell live foods. I looked and the closest to live they sell is the eggs that you have to hatch out yourself. Those are not what you need. This is what you should try if you can't get live from your local pet store: https://www.amazon.com/San-Francisc...9&sprefix=frozen+brine+shrimp,aps,229&sr=8-23
Once your fish starts eating, you can try to incorporate other foods into the diet but you have to get him into the habit of eating regularly first.

Your fish has shown you that it does not want dead/unnatural food. That product is a dead food. Look for frozen brine shrimp or Live brine shrimp. That's the shrimp you are looking for. Amazon, to my knowledge, does not sell live foods. I looked and the closest to live they sell is the eggs that you have to hatch out yourself. Those are not what you need. This is what you should try if you can't get live from your local pet store: https://www.amazon.com/San-Francisc...9&sprefix=frozen+brine+shrimp,aps,229&sr=8-23

Ok I will buy the brine shrimp. Betta has to eat. I do not want betta starving. My other betta is not so picky, he eats the dried worms or the pellets. :dance:(y)

Ok I will buy the brine shrimp. Betta has to eat. I do not want betta starving. My other betta is not so picky, he eats the dried worms or the pellets. :dance:(y)

Not all fish like the same foods just as not all people like the same foods. My Sister eats eggplant. I can't stand it. :nono: ;)

When you get the shrimp, thaw out a cube ( or best a half a cube at a time) in some aquarium water and then feed just a few of the shrimp to see if he will eat it. You can leave the remaining thawed shrimp in the fridge for a later feeding but after the second feeding, treat your fish in the 40 and other Betta with what's left. They should all enjoy it. Brine shrimp is not to be a whole diet but for now, it's a natural food the fish should respond to. Once he's feeding on a regular basis, mix small amounts of other foods with the shrimp until he starts eating the other foods then switch to the other foods using the brine shrimp as an occasional feed. (y)

I had a bill that came in, so I will not be able to get the live food for a few weeks, will betta eat if he is hungry enough, or will he not eat? I do not want betta not to eat, until I can afford to buy food. I have flakes, and pellets fish food, and dried foods. Betta does not like none of them. I am on a limited income, so I just wanted to know, thank you. I can pay the bill if I do not eat, just let me know.

I had a bill that came in, so I will not be able to get the live food for a few weeks, will betta eat if he is hungry enough, or will he not eat? I do not want betta not to eat, until I can afford to buy food. I have flakes, and pellets fish food, and dried foods. Betta does not like none of them. I am on a limited income, so I just wanted to know, thank you. I can pay the bill if I do not eat, just let me know.
Sadly, that " trick " does not always work. If it doesn't find food it likes, it can starve itself. I know it's dumb on their part but just a fact that happens. See if you can get a raw shrimp or raw piece of fish that has had no flavoring or marinating from a neighbor and try small pieces of that. (y)

Sadly, that " trick " does not always work. If it doesn't find food it likes, it can starve itself. I know it's dumb on their part but just a fact that happens. See if you can get a raw shrimp or raw piece of fish that has had no flavoring or marinating from a neighbor and try small pieces of that. (y)

The link that you sent me, they want 39 for shipping I found this on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/BiggerFish-I...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
Would this work, it is live and were I can afford it. If not can you look on ebay for live food for 14 or under with fee shipping. Thank you. I also found this on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr....l1313&_nkw=live+fish+food+for+betta&_sacat=0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3549477904...M/OVm/ZNy+bAgD1k7N2zb08A==|tkp:Bk9SR9qQpLXPYg

That's definitely better than the copopods in your other post. They are going to be very small but something hopefully the Betta will eat. Microworms are usually for baby bettas as a transition food from fry food to adult food.
As for getting bit, no they won't bite you but when you get it, you'll want to take a knife or spoon to scrape a small amount of the worms from the side walls then drop the mass in the tank. Hopefully the mass of food will get his attention. Try not to break up the ball of worms so that the fish sees the bigger target. (y)

Thank you for your help...

That's definitely better than the copopods in your other post. They are going to be very small but something hopefully the Betta will eat. Microworms are usually for baby bettas as a transition food from fry food to adult food.
As for getting bit, no they won't bite you but when you get it, you'll want to take a knife or spoon to scrape a small amount of the worms from the side walls then drop the mass in the tank. Hopefully the mass of food will get his attention. Try not to break up the ball of worms so that the fish sees the bigger target. (y)

Thank you for your help. I also took some live food, from my fish, and Betta went right to it, What he did not eat. I took a fish net and took it out. I bet betta will go for the live food. Cause he sure loves chicken and fish. I usually eat fish, or chicken. I will take a spoon and scrape a small amount of worms from the side. Thanks again for all your help.
:thanks::dance::dance:(y)

Thank you for your help. I also took some live food, from my fish, and Betta went right to it, What he did not eat. I took a fish net and took it out. I bet betta will go for the live food. Cause he sure loves chicken and fish. I usually eat fish, or chicken. I will take a spoon and scrape a small amount of worms from the side. Thanks again for all your help.
:thanks::dance::dance:(y)
I hope I got the gist right because this makes no sense: " I also took some live food, from my fish, and Betta went right to it" What live food are you talking about? :confused:

I hope I got the gist right because this makes no sense: " I also took some live food, from my fish, and Betta went right to it" What live food are you talking about? :confused:

I took some fish stick. I broke into tiny pieces. It had no seasoning on it. No bread on it. I took the bread off. I also fed awhile ago with chicken with nothing on it. I am also eating fish, or chicken. I am also buy live food from ebay. I just fed my fish, cause I do not want him to starve. If that is not live food I am sorry. I thought it was. Well whatever you call it. betta loves it.

Back
Top Bottom