Using a Seio as a current generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my 120 reef I have two forms of current generation. One is the return line from the Mag Drive 5 (500 gph) and the other is a Maxi-Jet 1200 with the Hydor Flo installed. I also have a Fluval 404 I use for chemical mediums that generates flow, though I still have a large dead spot on one side of my tank.

I wondered if anyone used one of the Seio pumps, the one I was looking at pushed 660 gph and is said to have a nice dispersed flow. I was wondering if it is in any way comparable to a Tunze Stream, I know for certain it is much cheaper (40 bucks compared to 140)!

The SEIO's are great for their water dispersal and cost. Unfortunately, with savings comes a price. They cannot be put on a typical wave maker; they lock up and break impellers. If the power goes out, some will start back up, while some will just lock up. If you do not mind occasionally poking it to keep it running, they do move a serious amount of water for the money!
I would suggest bumping it up to the 820 or even the 1100, if your aim is to keep SPS.

i have two in my 75g. i think they are the 620. one did not start up after a feeding one time. it needed to be cleaned. this only happend one time though over a year. they do move a lot of water. sounds like you could use a good amount more flow for a 120g reef. even a bigger return pump.

steve r

well I am used to using Maxi-Jet powerheads for water motion and they lock up all the time, at least for me. I got a 24 dollar mod from mjmods.com that makes a maxi jet push around 1600 gph in a wide current. The mod worked well but for my tank it wasnt the most practical solution. The Tunze stream I think might be more current then I need so I probably will go to the Seio option.

You can easily reduce the flow on the mjmod by using a different propeller or trimming the ones you have down. Still cheaper than a Seio.

Back
Top Bottom