what is happening to my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Derdy88

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey just added my new wish and topped off my water. now my protein skimmer is producing ALOT of air bubbles at least 5X as much as it was before and now i have a layer of bubbles that are floating at the surface. any idea what the problem may be was it because i used tap water to top off the tank. or is there something els, im guessing its the tap water because this is when it started occuring. i let the water sit in a 5gal bucket for a week with some prime in it to get rid of the chlorene.
also i was getting brown algae on everything in my tank ( intakes the end of cycle i do believe) so a scrubbed it off and thats when the skimmer started producing the large amouts of bubbles.
so extra bubbles from scrubbing algae and extra bubble layer floating ontop from adding water

and i just purchased 2 clown and dont want them all stressed out in the new environement

Pure guess would be scrubbing the diatoms and putting it into suspension in the water did the trick. Some "slime coat enhancers" that are in some water conditioners will also cause a skimmer to go nuts. But I don't think Prime causes issues - then again I don't use it!

You might want to post your actual water results when you get a chance. Often times people say their water tests are "good" or "perfect", only to later find out that what they thought was "good" really wasn't! (Not saying that's your case... but it doesn't hurt to post them!)

Seachme states that "Prime™ will not overactivate skimmers" so my guess is also the glass cleaning and scrubbing.

the over bubbling is from the scrubbing im pretty sure aswell ( since it started happening within 5 minutes of me scrubbing. and is it okay to whipe the diatone algae off the glass.
now is it also normal to get a layer of bubbles on the top when i top off the tank and at first the water seems blury ( like the horizon on a road on a hot summer day) as im pooring it in. i just found that odd because i put very little prime its not like im overdoing it

Back
Top Bottom