What is the minimum size that a saltwater tank can be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeknightica

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, guys! I've had my heart set on someday having a saltwater aquarium, but I don't have a major amount of room. I know that they have to be kind of big, so what's the smallest gallon size that I could have and still have a successful aquarium? I don't want anything big, just a few small damsels, chromis, and maybe a couple of clowns. Thanks for your time!! :3

That's a pretty tough question for what you are asking.
A 20-30 gallon tank could hold a pair of clowns and another fish or two, but stocking isn't the same as it is with freshwater. I wouldn't have more than 4 small fish in there. Once you hit the 55-75 gallon range options open up some...but a large amount of fish in the hobby simply need large tanks.
Thankfully in your case none of them need a big 6 footer.

40 Gallon breeder is a very popular size but somethings as small as a 29 gallon cube is good.

Thanks, guys! This helps a lot. I don't wanna have a huge complicated tank because I already have two others to take care of, plus I kind of want a small practice tank for later in case I want a bigger one, you know?

I ran a 10g reef at one point that ran pretty awesome but I'm so not sad that I upgraded it to a 75, personally I would recommended a 40 breedder as they give you a lot more room for corals and rock scaping , plus it lets you have a bit more stock

Back
Top Bottom