What made you want a REEF aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It started with my dad, he kept freshwater and cichlid tanks throughout my childhood. When I was on my own I started a 45 gallon freshwater planted tank. After much thought I decided to upgrade. I was planning a 90 gallon planted discus tank. But, it seemed to be just as involved in keeping that as it would a reef tank. So I went with the reef instead.

Jon

Cool post. Here's part of mine: About 40 years ago my Dad refinished my bedroom and during the decorating phase decided to buy a 20 Gallon aquarium. You should have seen this thing - down right comical by today's standards. The front, back and sides were glass pressed into a stainless steel frame which was loaded with some gooey, tar-like substance to seal the glass. The bottom was made of slate. We readied this thing with water and two corner filters (bought everything from a place on Long Island, NY named Ed's tropicals - was a huge place but saw it's demise about 15 years ago). The Air pump, for the two corner filters and a bubbling air stone, was of the piston type and sounded like a storybook steam engine perpetually arriving at the station.

Oh yeah - the air pump also powered to bubble up tubes from the undergravel filter (what we would have done for a Hagen 301 :) ). These uplift tubes were even more comical then the tank. They had clip on pieces at the top with about 8 granules of charcoal in them (i.e., this was their idea of chemical filtration). As if less then a tablespoon of charcoal is going to be doing something benefical to the filtration system. Well I recall getting really upset if those things fell off the uplift tubes and figuring that the whole system would shortly turn into a rotting sesspool. :)

Well, my Dad had no clue what cycling was and I don't think the LFS guy did either - it was just sort of shotin' in the dark. We lost a few as I recall but soon enough some algae started to grow and now that I look back that was a really good sign - Life! Some Fish actually took the place up to be home.

Well from that point on I've been graced with the desire, or cursed with the obsession to have aquariums. They've ranged from 20Gallon fresh to 125 Gallon fresh to 90 gallon marine to 125 gallon Marine.

It's been incredibly rewarding at times and incredibly frustrating at others, but I don't think I'd trade it for any other obsession,.... I mean hobby.

The only thing I'm a little concerned about is that my accountant keeps asking me "Can you live in that 125 gallon aquarium in your den?"

Lata'

Tom

Hey, well....a long time ago when i was about 10....i got a freshwater setup for XMAS...lets just say that didn't go too well! :cry:

Anyways about 7 years later.....i was in the same plaza as my local fish store (HUGE AND GREAT) and decided to walk in. less than a month and A LOT of reading later....i had myself a nice 55 gallon setup and have been hooked ever since!!!

I was born with a 90 g reef tank under my arm.

-kidding! my first tank was a ten gallon when I was 7 or 8, we put a tad pol that I found in a pond, or creek. It turned into a large frog and my mom was freaking out about it jumping out one day and ending up in her bed. So, a neighbor had a built in pond in his back yard- just beautiful (he happened to be the superintendent of schools in my town) he accepted the frog and I was welcome to come visit any time- he also welcomed and encouraged the local kids to bring as many lizards as we could find to his back yard habitat- he claimed the ate the snails.. He also had many (5-10) small tanks with all kinds of fresh water fish in them, I think he was spawning them for the big pond.
So, my 10 g was now empty, so we went to Jones Pet Shop to get another critter, he was a newt. Lots of fun, till one day guess where he was- in my moms bathroom! He got promply flushed.. So, back to the pet shop to find a new friend WITHOUT legs! I think we got some tetras and guppies..
I had a gold fish for like 5 years also, in a small bowl- I won it at a school carnival. The 10 g made it with me to college, where I kept a garden snake- till it managed to escape and end up getting fried in my apple II- I know it seems like I have a history of pet abuse... you should hear my Iguana stories..
Anyway- now I have settled on a 40g show tank with a 30g sump/fuge (oh and a 4 g plastic storage contaner that is now home to the goldfish I evicted from the 30g!
I have always been hooked on criters in cages/ tanks and the Reef is the ultimate challenge/ reward in captive pets.
"don't waste time remembering facts, just remember where to find the facts when you need them" Albert Einstein

i was looking at my friends fish tank.. he had a 60 gallon for 3 years. and it looked extremely nice! i was addicted.. i could not take my eyes off of it. I would stare at it for hours trying to look for new creatures, and seeing what they will do next. It was like a little world inside a glass tank. After seeing this i had to have one for my own. This is what inspired me to go out and get a fish tank. 8)

As with most people I started with a 10g FW when I was very young. I can't remember exactly but maybe 10 years old or so. Of course I had no clue what I was doing so a few fish perished until I got the hang of it. After that the fish lived for several years until I went off to college. All of this was in Ireland where I was born. Now I'm living in California and my fiance and I had been weakly discussing how nice it would be to have a fish tank. We hadn't really done anything about it but then we went to Hawaii on vacation :) This was my first time snorkelling (not much of that in Ireland you'll understand!!) and I was immediately and completely hooked on how incredible these creatures are. A close encounter with a good-sized reef shark was not even enough to keep me out of the water :lol:

Long story short - We got back from vacation less than 4 weeks ago without a tank. Now we've got a 55g SW with all the trimmings and our first inhabitant, Eric, a Maroon Clownfish :) We're already $2500 in and likely to get deeper but it's definitely worth it.

I just recently started mine about 3 weeks ago and am now barely going to add the fish into it next weekend. But what got me started in this hobby was I recently moved out to Arizona for school, but from my home in California...so close to the ocean. Still only a 5 hour drive to decent surf but I really wanted to bring a piece of that back into the desert with me. So now its become a hobby that me and my girlfriend have highly involved ourselves in and are having a lot of fun so far with it.
Chris

My fiance told me I needed a Hobby. She said I play too many video games.. I've done FW for what seems like forever and she liked some of the SW stuff so I figured I'd give it a whirl. Been doing it ever since.. Hmmm.. I wonder if her telling me to get a hobby was just her way of getting the fish she wanted without having to do all the work?... :roll:

When we got married and started our family two years later with our first of four sons I was not financially successful enough to have a SW tank,but we did have a
small FW from time to time and then it seemed that one thing or another always prevented me from having one of those elusive beautiful glass boxes to stare into except at the LFS I would visit and was always drawn to the SW section. Then our sons grew up and we retired and one of the first things I did was to get me a SW reef/fish tank. I cherished it for about two years then had a horrible thing happened!!! It split at the corner and I lost almost every thing that I had collected. I went rushing down to the local LFS and brought a 55gal. tank home, and now I am in the process of trying to start all over, but I will not be defeated that easy, a hobby like this is worth all this and more, even with the corals and fish that I lost and had to replace before the tank split. The pieces are coming slowly (due to prices) but I will not be defeated! I will survive and continue to love this hobby.

I started when I was 4 or 5 yrs old. One of my first word were Tyronosorus Rex, So i have been fascinated with the animal kingdom all my life. I have a fetish for aggressive animals. Had Argentinian Tegu (lizard that eats med. rats), multitude of snakes, Red tail catfish, every cichlid you could think of, pirhana, turtles, crawfish, waterdogs.....you get the picture. If it will fit in a glass bubble, I've put one there. Sometimes they got too big to stay there, but I had them for a while.

I have an extra fascination with fish, since I like to fish wayyyy toooo much. I will discect everything I catch, just to look on the inside. What they've eaten, if they have parasites, growths, tumors etc. Just interested in Biology as a whole. And if I happen to bring aboard a clump of seaweed, I'm gone ofr hours. I think my TV only gets Discovery Chanel and OLN. Reefin is the only thing I haven't done, until a year ago anyways. I love the diversity and challenges. You are creating your own little planet, very similar to "Sim City" except with live animals.

I've always loved fish, Used to keep feeder goldfish in a cheapo goldfish bowl when I was very young [ 10cents a gold fish was, like, the most expensive thing in the world when I was that young ].

Well, I keep my goldfish and they were happy for a long time, until one time I left for the summer.. and the person I entrusted my fish to moved them outside in their bowl, They boiled. :(

After that, I still wanted fish.. but I couldn't afford it [ I was 8 ] and have lusted for one since before I even started with my goldfish in a bowl.

Well, My breaking point came when I finally got me a job.

One of my first paychecks went to buying a 10gal tank, heater, filter and gravel. In it I put more feeder goldfish [ I have an absurd facsentation with these fish ], the feeder goldfish they use now a days are far different then the ones when I was a kid. The ones when I was a kid grew into beautiful goldfish, the feeders now grow into bizzare looking seamonsters.

Well, I've kinda rolled down hill from there.

From day when I picked up my first 10gal I saw all the beautiful fish in the saltwater tanks they had. I vowed i would have a SW tank one day.

and that day came 3 days ago, When I finally picked up my SW tank, Used, from someone who could no longer afford the time for it.

So now I'm sitting here, starying at my Condylactus Gigantae as it sways in the water, With a smile on my face. Even as empty as the tank is now, I still love it.

And hope to some day in the future, when I get my own place, to set myself up a custom built tank 300gal long reef tank.

But for now I'll stick with my 29gal FOWLR for now.

My addiction has gotten the better of me, with as many tanks as I have now.

great topic indeed i went from a 55 fresh to 55 salt then got a 180 then another 180 i love this hobby so does the electris company
i want to tranform 180 to a shark tank is filltration the same is it the same as tangs clowns ectttt :D

When I was little my parents kept a 55g FW tank that housed various incompatible mixes of fish and other things. We'd have angelfish and crayfish, and various large, darty fin nippers in with long-finned fish..things like that. You'd think that might have deterred me, but at 6 years old I always seemed to miss all the fish deaths. The only thing I helped with was sucking on the siphon end to get the water flowing so it would go in the bucket (yummy). My parents eventually decided to close up shop.

In between somewhere here I went to Antigua in the Caribbean and went snorkeling off of the uninhabited Bird Island, swimming with fish far bigger than I was and through some small patches of reef, where I had the pleasant experience of running straight into a floating fish head. (Again, yummy! You can clearly see where my love of saltwater came from
icon_rolleyes.gif
)

So about four and a half years ago I kept noticing the old 55g show tank we had just sitting in the garage and I decided to spend my birthday money setting it up. We hauled the double-paned glass tank and its stand upstairs to my room and I set about doing research. That's right, research! And I made a little binder full of fish profiles and information about different kinds of heaters, filters, etc. that I still have today. We slapped a Penguin Biowheel on there, a heater, filled it with water and set up some decorations (driftwood, rocks, etc.) and started putting fish in.

For a while, things were good.

Then about a year later I made the mistake of thinking my parents would research the matter if I agreed to buy them a quaker parrot (originally I was just going to get some finches, but my Mom kept going to bigger and bigger birds). After all, I had researched it to the last tiny detail and figured they were as prepared as I was.

WRONG.

Anyway, after the bird had been placed in a more suitable home with an experienced birdkeeper, I ventured to my Mom that we should buy another 55g show tank for her office downstairs. We set that one up and started running it, and moved the 5 baby angelfish from my tank upstairs to that one. We added some Bolivian rams, clown loaches, etc. A few months later we got a 20g "high" tank, and I occasionally thought about saltwater but was deterred by the massive cost and the scary things written in articles about how I would have to check every single parameter every two seconds or everything would die instantly. All I ever really wanted was a lionfish, but everything I had read recommended a 55g tank at a minimum for the smaller species, and my parents pointed out that I was going to college in a few years. Suitably detered, I focused on my FW tanks. We also acquired a few bettas, but apparently they disliked our conditions and found it fit to die after about two years each. I also got my paradise fish who is now with me at college.

Did I ever originally want a reef tank? Nope. But my mother did after she adopted a clownfish and a snail from my aunt and set up a little 20G for them. So I dutifully did the research this time (I knew she wouldn't) and eventually arrived here while hunting around for information. =) So now that rather sparse reef is finally set-up my mother is threatening to sell off all the corals and go FOWLR because of algae and because she "didn't know it would involve so much money and work," but I'm kind of hoping she'll give it a chance. I'm not exactly a saltwater fanatic yet because high costs + college student budget = uh.. But even if my parents' tank doesn't work out as a reef tank in the end, I'll probably set up one on my own someday using all the great tips I learned here. :) And maybe someday I'll actually get a lionfish too.

/End. =P

I've loved fish tanks ever since I was a kid. My first was a 2-gallon hex with a small freshwater black shark named Shatter. It wasn't but a month or so before he outgrew that tank, so I bought a 10-gallon one and added some scenery for him to enjoy. Funny thing is...the bigger the tank, the faster the fish grow.

Not 3 months after buying my 2-gallon hex, I found myself buying a 55-gallon tank and filling it with freshwater goodies.

Long story short: After a year or so, everything was dead.

After a couple months I decided it'd be cool to check out the LFS and see what kind of saltwater fish and supplies I could get. I had been under the impression that such things were fairly expensive in relation to freshwater, but when I found a volitan lionfish for $16 I was hooked. 3 days and a hundred dollars later, I had some live sand, live rock, and my lionfish named Bob.

Unfortunately, due to my lack of knowledge, he croaked after about 6 months. That was when I decided I wanted to move away from predatory fish and towards a reef.

Soon thereafter, I decided to sell the 55-gallon and to set my 10-gallon tank back up. (Cheaper and it fits in my apartment :roll: ) I crammed most of the LR from my 55 into my 10 and after a few more fish had suffered to my inabilities, I finally got the tank stabilized into what you see today. (y)

I can honestly say... it's all my husband's fault! :mrgreen:

We had been dating for about a year and he convinced me to set up a 37 gallon in my bedroom. I was skeptical, but he had kept saltwater tanks before I met him and the tank was going to be a project we could do together.

5 years and many many mistakes later, we're married and have a 175 gallon reef tank and a 120 gallon reef (in progress). This isn't a hobby, it's an addiction!!

I'm going to blame my wife, Kimberly. My mom had kept a 30 gallon fw tank that she crammed just about everything into. She stopped after a while and I wan't really interested any more.

My wife and my 2 boys moved from Wisconsin to California and had to rent an house. Couldn't get any other pets, but the landlord said "ok, but not big" to a fish tank. I tried to talk my wife out of sw because I researched the cost. She won out and I've been addicted ever since.

We started with a 25 gallon and now have a 12 gallon nano. I'm doing my best to get others hooked.

The Fumanchu Lionfish.
And why do people say fresh water is bland?
African cichlids and discus, my friends.

Atlarge said:
The Fumanchu Lionfish.
And why do people say fresh water is bland?
African cichlids and discus, my friends.

African cichlids are cool, I like them as they survive most of water condition, Discus looks nice, but with the type of slow moving and required good water condition, it bothers me outta my skull, plus discus is expensive!!!

Back
Top Bottom