What made you want a REEF aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got my first fish from my uncle. I loved the little guy, just a betta in a 2.5. But boy was he beautiful! He died over Hurricane Fran when we were forced to leave the house( because it was too hot) Forgot to take him with us. Six years later my aunt won a 20 gal freshwater in an auction. I watched them every time i went over. Spent my summer vacation looking up fish tanks and checking websites (not as good as this) out. Unfortunately, my budget is limited, so I tried to start a 7 gal Salt water tank. I failed miserably. I converted it to a freshwater tank, which is IMO the best 7 gallon freshwater tank in the world. Someday, I'll get the reef tank.

New to the forum, figured this was as good a place as any to say hello. :)
And let me say I'm entirely impressed with the information I've been able to soak up from this site, these forums. I'm going blind, I've read so much as of late.

How I got started. I'm convinced it was in the womb. ok but really. I got my first aquarium when I was about 7, your basic 10 gallon deal. Had freshwater fish, though I remember loving sea horses desperately, in the '70s the very notion of setting up a saltwater tank set you back the price of a small car.

By the time I was 10, my father had to make a rack to hold my 9 tanks. I bred livebearers for the local little fish shop. I bred angels. Yes, I was a social outcast and had just a lot of time on my hands at 10. I still loved sea horses. I wanted a saltwater tank more than anything. I made up for this lack of satisfaction by sheer number of freshwater setups.

My mother sold all my aquariums, equipment and all, when we moved when I was 16. She sold them....9 full aquariums ranging from a 5 gallon sick tank, to a 50 gallon.....all of them, for $20. I still don't forgive her for that.

Fastforward to my 20s. Had a 60 gallon, 45 and 30, all still freshwater. From what i read and was told, saltwater was too expensive. Was too hard. I still wanted those sea horses. And clownfish. God but I could watch those for hours in a store. Kept those for years, loved them, but wasn't what i really wanted. Kept cichlids in the 60 gallon, was the closest to saltwater i could get.

Two weeks ago, being now 7 years without fish, I caved and treated myself to a 30 gallon setup. The guy (store is a local fish only place with a huge section of saltwater) starts to talk to me about how the cost of setting up a saltwater tank isn't what it used to be. I'm no fool, I've had fish my whole life, so I talk to him, see if he knows his stuff or just trying to get me to spend money. My work deals with this store and other teachers who have fish, praise this place. Say it's hands down THE best place in Boulder. So after most of my life spent longing, I'm sitting beside my very first saltwater setup.

Terrified. Of course. It's still cycling, so it's not all that exciting right now. Well, to me it is. But anyone else just looks inside and says "where's the fish".

I'm not stupid, I know I have a very very long way to go until I have (tank-raised) sea horses. I'm going to take baby steps until I know a whole lot more about what I'm doing. But eventually, I want my sea horses. When I know I can keep them alive.

/takes a bow.

i went to the keys and was like

this is beautiful and i want it in my house,

so a year later with all my money i had in the bank saved for when i was 2 till then and spent all my money on a 72 gal reef ready bowfron(im 14)

and man when you get fish and coral in there its like agreat tv show its....... euphoria it teaches me so much and when i become a marine bioligist im gonna be rich and have a 10,01209319827 gallon tank and im gonna hatch fish and grow corals and keep the reefs alive

oops off topic soryy... :oops:

Mr. Marine

i went to the keys and was like

this is beautiful and i want it in my house,

so a year later with all my money i had in the bank saved for when i was 2 till then and spent all my money on a 72 gal reef ready bowfron(im 14)

and man when you get fish and coral in there its like agreat tv show its....... euphoria it teaches me so much and when i become a marine bioligist im gonna be rich and have a 10,01209319827 gallon tank and im gonna hatch fish and grow corals and keep the reefs alive

oops off topic soryy... :oops:

Mr. Marine

I started off with the goldfish in the bowl. That fish lived for 5 years before a heater malfunction finally did it in. I continued with several more very successful aquariums but never trusting myself to properly care for a salt water tank. Now that I am a bit older and have a bit of money. I am ready for the challenge!

mrmarine said:

Marine biology is one of the worst fields you could choose if you desire to be rich. ;)

Sneaker said:
What made me want a reef aquarium...?

It was a natural progression, I love nature and most of the creatures that are out there... My dad had fresh and saltwater fish the whole time I was growing up and when I moved out and was busy running around in life I sat down one day and realized how much I miss having fish around.

I got back into it with a 10 gallon tetra tank, then I started a 30 gallon fish only aquarium, then I started another 30 galloon reef tank.

I am new to maintaining saltwater on my own so I figured I would start small, I love my reef tank and corals, the colors, the excitment, the entertainment...

Whenever I am stressed out I just sit in front of the tanks for an hour and I feel right as rain.

Actually I lied about why I started my aquariums, the real reason is that I saw "Finding Nemo" :wink:

My father always had FW fish tanks growing up and I've always wanted SW fish because they are such beautiful fish, but when I started visiting AA.com regularly and seeing the tanks people on here have, that's when I decided I wanted a reef.

We are scuba Divers! We wanted to bring our hobby into our home!! I have always had freshwater, but always wanted the beautiful fish!! (no offense to Freshies) To do or not to do was the question...$?, time?, Headache? Well it sure is cheaper than going to Mexico on a dive trip!! Took the plunge just a month ago, and already enjoy it so much!! Even the pods are fun to watch. :D

I just always wanted one !!!! I had fresh water tanks when i was a kid but never could aford a salt water ,and i always thought they where the coolest and prettiest fish . Plus im a big scuba diver and that made me want one more.

Mine starts out with a ten gallon fresh water tank when I was about 8 and I can't remember what fish I had in it. The pump burned out and I guess we never noticed because we were not big into fish yet. All the fish died and we ended up throwing the tank out. A few years later my neighbor was showing me all his fish tanks hes got a 20 gallon eclipse with some clownfish and damsels a 40 gallon with the same, a 55 gallon with a lionfish and blueline grouper, and a 500 gallon with 3 little sharks about 18 inches. I decided I wanted a saltwater sish tank and it just so happens I found a 20 gallon in the garbage the same day. I took it home and cleaned it out very good and set it on a wooden lobster pot for a stand in my room. I bought a emperor biowheel and some crushed coral. I put some damsels in there to let it cycle and then took them out and and put a clownfish in it, a green mandrin goby, and a small yellow tang ( yes the tang is going in the 75 gallon once it cycles I have been asked that a million times he is only about 2 inches right know). Then I bought some live rock and some inverts to add. I have some coral in it right know and have just bought some better lighting a jebo 110w power compact with one daylight bulb and one actinic bulb and a cpr bak-pak 2r protein skimmer. Then we got a 75 gallon witch is still in progress in cycling it will be a reef tank. We also have a 10 gallon that we use as a hospital tank getting ready to put the clown fish in there becuase he has ick. And thats the end of my story up to today.

Well I had some FW 'bowls' as alittle kid, with some guppies.
I got older and was given a small hex tank, just enough for a betta.
in my late teens I picked up a 10 and 20 gallon, but that was before the Internet was actually useful to hobbyists, so I didn't do things right, and had lots of failures.

last sept. I picked up a 29gallon setup for FW, adn did things the right way (ok, I didn't fishless cycle, but I did do daily water changes and lost no fish).
That tank quickly turned into a high light planted tank...and by January I purchased a 75gallon and transferred everything over. Between Sept and Jan, I picked up a 20gallon FW for my wife, who gave up on it, so it's another of my planted tanks.

Now my planted tanks are stable and low maintenance...so I decided I was ready for the challenge of SW.
The fish are more vivid, the reef rocks look so natural and beautiful with the coralline algae...its a living work of art, like my other tanks.

I enjoy learning, and then doing...so SW is very interesting to me.

I've had FW fish tanks since as far back as I can remember
I've had just about every FW fish there is at one point or another
I have always been drawn to the beauty of SW tanks and wanted one for many years. In time all good things come.

Now I finally own one :D

For me, watching an animal live in it's (albeit man-made) natural habitat is a thrill. I love the territoriality of fish, the incredible variety of life.

I have a friend who also has aquariums and sometimes complains that his fish are hiding behind objects in the tank - so he removes the objects. I don't understand this at all. My goal is to create a natural environment and if that means only seeing the critter once every couple weeks because he likes to hide - so be it.

how lame am i... all these great stories, time for a bit of honesty...
my father owns a freshwater tank has for about 20 years... used to watch it in the dark with just the aquarium light on. moved out 14 years ago and didn't think anything of it. 2 years ago my husband buys a 10 gal kit for our 4 kids and obsessive/compulsive that i am i took it over :twisted: bought gouramis to add to the 4 neons he got. but then a week later i got 5 zebra danios and 5 tiger barbs, then i had to have snails, and lyretails mollies, plecos to combat the algae (what do u mean i'm exceeding the bioload? what the heck is a bioload anyway?), 2 convicts which decided to have babies (how could i be a mother again my husband had a vasectomy?) 8O but no worries the Jack Dempsey i bought took care of most of all that :oops: . Shockingly enough he's still alive after a year who says he needs a 30 gal tank. And then...

D I S N E Y -- "Mom can we get Nemo?" Finally! An excuse to expand my compulsions without killing any more freshwater fish. Now I get to see how good I am at killing saltwater fish :p just kidding... i love it, i'm learning alot and so are my kids. my 7 year old is always over there pointing out something i've missed. damn! he just found another "little feather duster" we adults call it aiptasia. let's see how long i can keep some peppermint shrimp alive.... Wish me L U C K!!!

Back
Top Bottom