What size Bow is this? Black sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florida8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
15 deep 24 wide 19 tall ... I bought it for my son to start his 'bigger' sw tank... the guy said he couldn't remeber what size it was.

Also, my son wants the black sand, but I have read it's too hard on sand sifters and stars... is this true? Is it ok with everything else, corals, fish, inverts?

Thanks!

I think that is about a 30G tank, not 100% on that since it's a bowfront. As for the sand, I believe it really depends on the grain size, if it is harmful to certain inverts. You don't want too big but then don't want too small, otherwise it will blow all over the place.

Different manufacturers call that size tank a 28 or 29 gallon bowfront.

Black sand is not harmful to sand sifters, but it can be difficult to keep nice and clean, ie black. Detritus is tanish brown and can muddy black sand over time.

That Tahitian Moon black sand is real pretty, but I don't believe it is aragonite. CaribSea labels it as an inert sand that will not affect pH. Does not sound like aragonite to me.

I used the tahitian moon sand, roughtly 4 inches deep, in my 175 bow. It has been in there for years and I have not experienced difficulties. I will warn you that it is a royal pain to keep clean, any little piece of shell or rock that sits on it, stands out like neon.

I have tahitian moon in my 50 gal right now as well and it is a pain to keep clean. It looks really good though if it is kept clean.

Back
Top Bottom