Which light to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayesha97

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gal tank that I've just started. The tank came as a kit and came with a 15W Hg Aquarium lamp. My boyfriend's mom gave me an old handme down lamp that is a "ESU Reptile Desert 7% UVB... F15-T8-180 BP." This is the one that I'm currently using. At some point I would like to have more of a reef like tank. Would this be enough to support photosynthesis for corals and such? If not any suggestions on what to get for future use?

no not really. to grow corals you really need a lot more light. more like PC and MH. and you want stuff more in the blue color looking.

For high light corals and inverts(like acros and clams etc) you would want to go with MH lighting, for soft corals, mushrooms etc you could use PC only. I started with 2 55 watt PC lights on my 20 gallon and just added a 175watt MH light to give me more choices of corals. Just keep in mind that with MH lights comes heat and evaporation issues that must be dealt with.

Back
Top Bottom