Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-16-2004, 04:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
which would be a better reef tank?

a 55 gallon or a 40 gallon? i have a 55 on top of a 40 same foot print except the height. i originally planned on my 55 gallon and using my 40 as a sump...but i wonder if i should switch...use the 40 as the reef and 55 as a sump, only because of the lighting issue...i have 220watts of CP lighting thats 4 watts per gallon but i could get more wattage in the 40 gallon and deeper penitration right?

thanks in advance

sirfishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 05:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
So...is this a 55 Tall? Cuz normally a 55 is 48"x12"x18"

If it's a tall tank, it might not be a bad idea to use the 40 as a display if sticking with your existing lighting is a major concern.
However...what are your intentions for the display tank? Fish only? FOWLR? Reef?
If reef, are you wanting a few easy corals, or you wanna go all out?
If you wanna go all out, you'll probably want metal halide lighting, so you may as well go with the 55...but that's just my take.

Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 05:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'd go as large as you can fit into the space that you are putting it. The 55. Unless you could afford the space for a 75. 48"x18"x18"
A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ich, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com