Why does ph change with temp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjj_junkie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, I just calibrated the ph probe on my apex and I've noticed that the ph drops at night when the temp drops. Why is this? I'm still cycling so I haven't taken notes but they're in the log is you care to know... Thanks

It's not the temp that's doing it it is the fact that when the lights turn out photosynthesis stops which is why people run reverse lighting or 24/7 lighting on their fuge to balance out the PH swings.

+1

A lot of probes do not have automatic temerature adjustment. Changes in temperature (at least the amount of variance you should allow in your tank) will have minimal effect on pH. What it can effect though is how the probe measures pH.

Couple that with the lights being off and and algae not utilizing the CO2, that the fish are respirating, by photosynthesis to produce oxygen and you can see a larger swing in pH. Lights on in the sump allow the algae there to utilize the CO2

Thank you guys, so in the simplest terms I should start running my refugium light at least at night... That's another question I have, I read some people run it 24/7 and other people just run it at night.. I would rather have it on 24/7 like that it lights up the whole sump when I need to work on it during the day, any difference?

24/7 is if you have macro algaes that will become asexual (culpera for example) with a night period. This isn't the case with chaeto though which is why its the go to refugium algae.

I actually placed an order for a small amount of chaeto yesterday, you recommend running the light for it only at night or 24/7?

I run 24/7 but that's not needed really. Reverse lighting is all you really need like when dusk lighting starts for example start up the fuge light and turn it off after the dawn lighting so they slightly overlap.

Another thought could be- if you are fully enclosed and running on the warm side precipitating water can cause higher salinity, which can cause minor ph swings.

Well I doubt it's that cause I have my ato setup already but I'm really amazed how much evaporation there is, idk if it has anything to do with it being completely open top but it's more than I ever imagined

My open top had this horrible problem with disappearing water, lol... I've noticed the more I have going on in my tanks (fresh and salt) the more water they use up... Just remember to top off with fresh ro/di or distilled water, not salt.... That's a noob mistake I made with top offs

I have same issue with mine and vanishing water..did same noob booboo woth topoffs....;)

There you go!! For my custom 40g I plan on looking into those, right now with my BioCube I don't seem to be losing water like I used to... I think that it's the fans and chiller...

With regards to sump lighting. I have a dark period during the day for the reason of ph offset mentioned already but also for my pods. Although I'm sure they are active in the lower levels of my cheato ball and rocks, I want them scurrying around the surface as well. That way they are more likely to get carried into the return section and when the lights come on (2 x 15 minute periods in the day plus on for good in the evening) they should make for the dark area that is my piping for the return pump (external).
Mandarin take-out. Or delivery.

With regards to sump lighting. I have a dark period during the day for the reason of ph offset mentioned already but also for my pods. Although I'm sure they are active in the lower levels of my cheato ball and rocks, I want them scurrying around the surface as well. That way they are more likely to get carried into the return section and when the lights come on (2 x 15 minute periods in the day plus on for good in the evening) they should make for the dark area that is my piping for the return pump (external).
Mandarin take-out. Or delivery.

Good input, ill set the refugium light to turn off for a few hours in the day while I'm at work.. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom