Why don't all fish in the ocean die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFrik

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Why don't all the fish in the ocean die from ick? I've been trying to answer this question but I can't really find a reasonable answer. Any thought?

A healthy fish can fight off the parasite, also cleaner shrimp and other fish eat the parasites and keep the population in check. There are plenty of fish in the ocean that do die from ick, and since they are in their natural environment with no outsider "People" stress they are healthier.

bingo - there would be many fish that die from ick, however as said there is less stress on the fish it has a huge environment, the water conditions are optimal, they have the clenaer shrimp etc etc. And alot of fish are very hardy, i have had ick in my tank before :( and only few of my fish came down with it others did not because the are hardy.
thats the only explaination i can think of.

Some food for thought.

The amount of fish in the ocean is countless. We just don't know how many are out there except for rough ideas at best.

The amount that contract diseases or parasites is unknown. Again we can only have a rougher guess based on out of how many fish caught have them and work up a percentage from the above number.

The mortality rate is another number out there somewhere in the ocean that we will never know for sure.

The repopulation rate is at best a guess.

Oh, and they have the biggest aquarium availabe to do whatever they want to in.

However take people out of this guestimate and the amount of fish species out there has the means to survive, even with odds that we would consider stagering, throughout disease, predators, and food shortages. Thats just the way I look at a very interesting question. :)

it seems that in their natural environment they would build up some sort of immunity to common problems. just like we do! in an aquarium, they are kept from these diseases and don't have the opportunity to build that stronger immune system that recognizes and fixes problems quickly.

The parasite only stays on the fish during one cycle of it's life. In the ocean if a fish gets ich, when the parasite falls off, the fish just swims away. In an aquarium, the parasite falls off the fish, but the fish has no place to go to escape and the parasite attaches again in it's next cycle.

There is no comparison to a fish in a closed system as opposed to a fish in the open ocean.

Due to the size of the bodies of water that they are in the ratio of parasites to fish is by far lower than in a closed system aquarium which has a higher ratio. Yes there are parasites in the ocean but in a much bigger area. Not concentrated like in an aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom