Xenia help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to get some pulsing Xenia. My LFS here has some for a GREAT $17 for a very decent size. (5-6") I have never kept any corals before. I have a slight problem with my temp that I have noticed and posted a question about. With the lights on it is around 80-81 with them off it is around 78-79. Would this be a problem? Also, what would I need to do to make the Xenia thrive? supplemnts etc????

I don't know much about this, so specifics would be great!!!

Thanks!!!!

My temp fluctuates a bit as well, nothing major, and my Xenia do exceptionally well. Xenia are an odd coral, in that in some aquariums they do great, while in other aquariums that are almost exactly the same as far as conditions, they do not survive.

Xenia like some light. They're not begging to be blasted by light, but they like a decent amount. I'd place them mid-way or towards the top (make sure to keep them several inches from the surface) in your tank. They like moderate water flow around them; they like to gently sway in the current. If they're standing still, even if they're pulsing, that's not enough circulation. They shouldn't be bent sideways either. A nice rolling motion will do them very well.

As far as supplements, they like iodine, but don't add any supplement unless you test for it. They seem to be relatively undemanding as far as supplementation goes, so your monthly water change should replenish all they need.

HTH!

Xenia will pulse faster under brighter light. I use VHO on my 75 and they pulse, but under the scrutiny of my 150MH (29G) they pulse with abandon. Also, most failures with xenia are either something nipping it in the tank (Emerald crabs, etc) or po4/nitrate issues. High po4 really brings xenia to a halt (also severely retards if not stops all other coral growth). That said, it is a hardy coral and will survive in all kinds of conditions. Mine have never had any issues with temp (with in reason) and seem to prefer alk in the higher 9.0 - 11.0 dkh range. I have some in the 29G at the bottom which are growing well and some in my 75G that are right in the line of the return flow and LOVE it.

GL!

I acclimmated mine over the course of an hour and a half using a 1/4 cup of tank water added to the bag. My xenia are doing fine (for over a month now).

I just put a small (about golf ball sized) piece into my tank. It does not look like it is doing well at all. It has been in the tank for about 2 hours. It is in a low-medium water flow area. Any tips??

It is the morning after putting my Xenia into the tank. All does NOT look good. It is barely attached to the rock, is not "pulsing" and most of the arms or threads whatever they are called are just hanging there. The lighs have not come on yet so hopefully a day of light will make it well.

Super
I put xenia in my tank not to long ago and for a couple of days it was droopy and didnt look good. Now its doing well and growing. Hopefully yours will pull through it.

give it time and space. dont move it around. i just put my cutting into the tank and let it float around until it found a place in the sandbed. it attatched to some gravel in the sandbed over the course of a week or two. i then set the xenia and gravel on to a rock in a place with medium flow and medium light and it has been thriving since. i believe it enjoys iodine supplements as many softies do. and the rest is history :)

I hate to be the pessimist, but..If its not doing well after a couple days, your params may be off. (hi po4/po3, etc) I have literally pulled pieces off lr with my bare hands and tossed in my other tank. Its usually pulsing (or trying) the next day when the MH are on. IS the condition of the xenia such that it is white? (Bleaching?) or does it appear to be sort of shrinking? Coming apart is not good. If you have a QT tank with a decent light, you may consider moving it there..

GL!

I looks like it may be bleeching. What does this mean? Water temp is around 80-81. Just checked my water parameters, all looks good.

Back
Top Bottom