You'd think since it's a brain coral, it'd be smart...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kurt_Nelson

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I get up this morning and do my normal tank lookover and notice something strange down by my open brain (Trachyphyllia geoffroyi). My skunk cleaner had molted and the coral had decided to sample the shell. I got out the long tongs and grabbed what I could from it's tentacles, but a fair amount of the shell was down it's mouth pretty good!

I kind of freaked because I remember reading all the stuff that says to chop up any meaty foods into small pieces so as not to overtax it's digestive system. Hmm... obviously the coral did NOT read the instruction book.

So I figure, well... I guess if it doesn't like it, it'll spit it out.

So four hours later, it finally decided it didn't like the shrimp shell. Here it is in the beginning of its "puking it back out" stage.

DSC05332-1.JPG

Hopefully it didn't hurt itself in the entire ordeal, but I'm sure it happens in the wild all the time. It was just pretty bizarre to watch in real life!

An t-iasg said:
Wow...that does look like it bit off more than it could chew! Hope it recovers ok!

Right after I took this picture, the "tail" end of the shell popped out of the mouth on the left side and it didn't have to open its mouth so wide anymore! It took about another hour until the whole shell was out.

So far, it doesn't seem any different than normal. I figured it'd probably be a little unhappy/deflated yesterday. But nope... it was it's normal self. I should've taken a picture of it after it ingested the molt - it looked pregnant with a big bulge in the center green part. I'm still really amazed it even ate it to start with.

Back
Top Bottom