Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #541
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
A couple of weeks ago I met Neilan at BRK and picked up a nice little wrasse to help with my nudibranch problem. I've been wanting to get one of these for some time. Everytime I've been to my LFS they were sold out. I got lucky this time around and picked one up.
I hate to even ask this question, but if you just picked up this fish a couple weeks ago and it's already in your tank does that mean you *gasp* don't quarantine your new fish???

I have the same fish sitting in a 10G QT right next to my desk. I believe it's the same fish, I've been calling mine a yellow coris but it looks the same and I know it's a wrasse. He's not getting released into the main tank for another three weeks. I learned that lesson the hard way!

Old 12-31-2008, 03:42 PM   #542
Sliced Bread

I'd make a seperate post. Makes it easier to find for others searching for those kinds of DIY threads, rather than sifting through the ins and outs it would have in this thread.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:51 PM   #543
AA Team Emeritus

both. do it.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 12-31-2008, 04:35 PM   #544
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooju View Post
I hate to even ask this question, but if you just picked up this fish a couple weeks ago and it's already in your tank does that mean you *gasp* don't quarantine your new fish???

I have the same fish sitting in a 10G QT right next to my desk. I believe it's the same fish, I've been calling mine a yellow coris but it looks the same and I know it's a wrasse. He's not getting released into the main tank for another three weeks. I learned that lesson the hard way!
Typically I do not QT my fish. All of the fish I have QT myself I have lost. $$$ down the drain on healthy fish. I have had the LFS QT fish for me with no issues. The LFS I buy from has healthy stock and I have never had any problems with any kind of outbreaks in almost 2 years of dealing with them. The one time I got ich in my tank was from a pair of neon gobies bought from another LFS, I QTed the gobies for 6 weeks all was well and when they hit the main BOOM ich. After a week it was gone and I have not had a problem with it since.

So in short I do not QT fish anymore. If I got to an LFS and I see 1 fish with ich and it's tank is tied to any other tanks I just don't buy anything from them. I'm more interested in corals then fish at the moment. I've added the 2 fish I've always wanted over the last year, the Copper Banded Butterfly and the Flame Angel. The one fish left that will eventually go in my tank again is a Mandarin. Other then that I'm done with buying fish.

As for the Wrasse you may be right. I was told that it was a Lemon Meringue, which ever it is it is doing the job I got it for.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:37 PM   #545
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I will probably create a build thread in the DIY section but also include pics of the progress in this thread since they are related.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:09 PM   #546
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
As for the Wrasse you may be right. I was told that it was a Lemon Meringue, which ever it is it is doing the job I got it for.
If it's the same one, this is what liveaquaria.com says:
The Yellow Wrasse is also referred to as the Golden Rainbowfish, Golden Wrasse, Yellow Coris, or Canary Wrasse. It is golden-yellow with a black eyespot on the dorsal fin.
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellow Wrasse

A bright and cheerful addition to the tank! I'm quarantining mine because my last wrasse (a beautiful and expensive condei fairy wrasse) died because a gramma brought ich into the tank. I was just surprised to see that such an experienced aquarist doesn't QT, but if you rarely add fish I can see why.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:11 PM   #547
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Quote:
Typically I do not QT my fish. All of the fish I have QT myself I have lost. $$$ down the drain on healthy fish. I have had the LFS QT fish for me with no issues. The LFS I buy from has healthy stock and I have never had any problems with any kind of outbreaks in almost 2 years of dealing with them. The one time I got ich in my tank was from a pair of neon gobies bought from another LFS, I QTed the gobies for 6 weeks all was well and when they hit the main BOOM ich. After a week it was gone and I have not had a problem with it since.

So in short I do not QT fish anymore. If I got to an LFS and I see 1 fish with ich and it's tank is tied to any other tanks I just don't buy anything from them. I'm more interested in corals then fish at the moment. I've added the 2 fish I've always wanted over the last year, the Copper Banded Butterfly and the Flame Angel. The one fish left that will eventually go in my tank again is a Mandarin. Other then that I'm done with buying fish.

Yes I make sure all my fish look healthy before I take mine home. I have never QT a fish. Not saying that I should maybe I should but I've been lucky " knock on wood"...:p
Old 12-31-2008, 05:35 PM   #548
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooju View Post
If it's the same one, this is what liveaquaria.com says:
The Yellow Wrasse is also referred to as the Golden Rainbowfish, Golden Wrasse, Yellow Coris, or Canary Wrasse. It is golden-yellow with a black eyespot on the dorsal fin.
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellow Wrasse

A bright and cheerful addition to the tank! I'm quarantining mine because my last wrasse (a beautiful and expensive condei fairy wrasse) died because a gramma brought ich into the tank. I was just surprised to see that such an experienced aquarist doesn't QT, but if you rarely add fish I can see why.
That's not the same fish I have. It looks similar but it isn't the same. Mine has 3 black spots going down the dorsal fin. Maybe mine will develop the white belly as it get's older. I don't know. It does the job I intended though so I'm very happy with the fish.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:37 PM   #549
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is this it?
Melevsreef.com - Lemon Meringue Wrasse
Old 12-31-2008, 08:00 PM   #550
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That is what I believe mine is. I'm not 100% sure because mine does not have the white belly but the other markings are the same.

Closed Thread

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com