Ziggy's 40B Rebuild 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hm...wonder where the issue is stemming from. Any media being run?

I have a two little fishes phosban reactor running with carbon and filter floss. I have been changing the media out regularly. So its not a build up from that. I think it was a build up of crud in the sand. I rinsed the heck out of it when I put the tank back, probably should have just put new sand in the system. That's really the only thing I can think of.

Ewww....old sand. The cause of every issue known to man. You could always just remove it all and be bare bottom for a couple of weeks to see if things are improving before putting a new sandbed down.

Ewww....old sand. The cause of every issue known to man. You could always just remove it all and be bare bottom for a couple of weeks to see if things are improving before putting a new sandbed down.

+1 Sounds like a sensible plan. Hows the phosphates reading?

+1 Sounds like a sensible plan. Hows the phosphates reading?

Phosphates are undetectable but I believe that is because the algae is eating it up so fast. Clearly there is excess nutrients in the system because the algae has a good foothold in the tank.

Phosphates are undetectable but I believe that is because the algae is eating it up so fast. Clearly there is excess nutrients in the system because the algae has a good foothold in the tank.

I forget what all you have in your system. Do you run GFO or anything for phosphates? Phosphates where my biggest problem untill I started running GFO. Always had some type of algae. It thrives when phos us present if only a little IME.

I forget what all you have in your system. Do you run GFO or anything for phosphates? Phosphates where my biggest problem untill I started running GFO. Always had some type of algae. It thrives when phos us present if only a little IME.

I am out of GFO. Right now just running my skimmer and a reactor with filter floss and carbon.

Might be something to look into since you ran out. I want to say the stuff lasts 28 days...I simply don't remember in all honesty. I do remember that I did see better results from it but it was the life span that bothered me...couldn't have made it so it lasted an even 30.

I heard the phosgaurd was pretty decent, but I have never used it. I also hear really good things about Bulk Reed Supplies High Capacity GFO. Supposedly lasts a LONG time. Would recommend getting something for phosphates to see if it helps. Gotta be worth the shot.

I didn't like phosguard. I always seemed to have a slightly elevated phosphate level. Within a few days of switching to BRS high capacity GFO my phosphates were at a better level.

I have used the phosguard and it works great. Once you place it in your system, you have to remove it after a day or two or it will release phosphates back into your system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I am seeing results with the Lawmower Blenny and the tons of water changes. I've also been cleaning out the skimmer a lot. I can see the algae starting to die off. I have a ways to go yet but I can see it starting to recede. I'm going to keep up the water changes (at least two per week) and see how that goes. I also thinned out my macro in the fuge to allow for more growth and nutrient export. I placed an order for BRS GFO so I will use that when it comes in to see if that improves things further. I want to avoid removing the rock and sand if I can. I don't want to start all over again. On the plus side I am seeing improvements in my coral color and polyp extension so I think things are turning around to some degree. I'm going to give it another few weeks and see how it goes before doing anything too drastic.

Glad to hear your winning the battle! Gha is such a pita...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like you are on the right track. That's great news, especially with the polyp extension. That's one thing I wish I had more of in my tank.

Sounds like you are on the right track. That's great news, especially with the polyp extension. That's one thing I wish I had more of in my tank.

I was really concerned there for a while with the corals. They have perked back up in the last week or so.

I moved them down to the sandbed just to keep the algae off them. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom