Ziggy's 40B Rebuild 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm only asking because I don't understand what the difference is in dosing Kalk versus chemicals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I haven't posted in a while, was very busy with work for year end close out and then the holidays.

Unfortunately the tank has taken a turn for the worse, the GHA is back with a vengeance!

I'm thinking I will have to remove all the rock and sand, cook the crap out of the rock and get new sand. I think reusing the old sand was a mistake and I shouldn't have done it. I've done the normal things to reduce nutrients in the system but nothing seems to be working too well. Next weekend I will pick up more salt mix and begin the process of removing the rock and sand.

UGH!

That's awful. Sorry things have taken that route. Possible that just removing the sandbed would start addressing it, rather than having to cook your rock and having an uncycled tank?

That's awful. Sorry things have taken that route. Possible that just removing the sandbed would start addressing it, rather than having to cook your rock and having an uncycled tank?

I'm really not sure to be honest. The rock is pretty heavily covered in GHA. If nothing else I will have to remove the rock and scrub the crap out of it. I think it may be better to just cook it and kill everything in the rock. I can slowly reintroduce the rock to the system after cycling it offline in another tank. I have never had this kind of issue before so it is new territory for me.

On a sad note unrelated to my tank, one of my cats passed away this morning around 4am. I woke up to him gasping for air. There was nothing I could do he went really quickly. According to the vet he had a sudden heart related failure that is common in some cats while they are still young.

Poe was just over 2 years old. His brother has been looking for him all day long. Breaks my heart!

RIP little man. :-(

Wow man I'm really sorry about your cat :(. That's gotta be tough :(. Sucks about your tank too, algae is so annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry about your cat Ziggy. Went through that a couple of years ago when we lost 3 cats and 2 dogs in the same year. Definitely my heart goes out to you. Good luck with the GHA. It's never dull in this hobby is it?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Very sorry to hear Ziggy. Terribly sorry about your cat man. I know what its like to loose a furry family member. Also sorry to hear about your tank situation. Are the corals overwhelmed with the GHA? I don't think I would try to remove it all at once. Maybe replace the sand first while leaving the rock in to help seed the new sand, the work on the rock maybe half at a time? Best of luck with however you approach this.

Very sorry to hear Ziggy. Terribly sorry about your cat man. I know what its like to loose a furry family member. Also sorry to hear about your tank situation. Are the corals overwhelmed with the GHA? I don't think I would try to remove it all at once. Maybe replace the sand first while leaving the rock in to help seed the new sand, the work on the rock maybe half at a time? Best of luck with however you approach this.

I would vote for doing one rock at a time if you could. Hopefully that way you could stay cycled??

PWCs are in full swing. Dropping nutrient levels as best I can. I have a Lawnmower Blenny in the tank now that is munching away. He has a lot of work to do!

I may have no choice but to pull the rock out and cook it and start over again. I'm open to any suggestions as I have never had this problem to this extent before.

Back
Top Bottom