CT based AA members?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjwcpm

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey folks,

Just checking to see who else is in my area.

- Kevin

I might be moving to CT in the spring. The brooklyn area, near killingly, pomfret. I might continue to make the trip to my current LFS. Any in CT that'd be worth checking out?

Exotic fish and corals in milford has really nice saltwater selection. Two huge frag tanks and four 90 gal tanls with really large pieces. Lots of rare fish and your everyday stuff. Bob is a great guy and will give you great deals if you talk to him

Waterbury Aquarium (Waterbury, CT).... owned by Chris, a really nice guy and very knowledgeable fishkeeper.

I purchase a lot of my stock from him and have gotten most of my tanks, both new and used, from him.

Thanks for the tips. When it set in stone I'll have to take a ride and check them out. Thanks again.

LyndaB said:
Waterbury Aquarium (Waterbury, CT).... owned by Chris, a really nice guy and very knowledgeable fishkeeper.

I purchase a lot of my stock from him and have gotten most of my tanks, both new and used, from him.

I've had a mixed experience there to be honest. It's only 5 mins from my house, but about 50% of the time, whoever's there is brusque and not all that helpful. The other times, they're great, so I don't know if they're busy or what, but I rarely see other people in there. It's also kind of a dump still, after they're move, but is getting better as they work on it.

*However* they do have a pretty good selection of fish, which I've found to be healthy, and a good collection of supplies and natural decor for tanks, so it just takes some getting used to and you have to know what you want.

Also, not too far from WA is Just Phish, which has a good and different selection of stock from WA in a nicer space. I know next to nothing about SW, but they seem to have good fish for that, too.

For such a run-down town, Waterbury has some nice lfs's.

i'm in CT too.. & i LOVE waterbury aquarium!! if you go in when chris (the owner) is there, you can get help w/ ANYTHING fish related!! his employees dont always have the info you need but his dope stock makes up for it.. & i dont mind that the shop isnt sparkleing cuz it feels more like a legit fish shop, opposed to petco, etc..

exoctic fish & coral (in milford) also have a SWEET salt selection & from time to time, some dope freshwater too

purr-fect pets (also milford) was decent but the owner is trying to sell & is letting it go downhill fast!!

not too many GREAT shops in CT .. but there are some

LyndaB said:
Where exactly is Just Phish?

It's at 20 Main St. In Oakville, maybe 500 feet over the Waterbury line. It's in a big brick complex and the entry is around back, by the loading dock. Be warned, it's very sketchy looking if it happens to be dark.

Apparently he started as a brick and mortar, closed down and started an online company and then re-opened relatively recently. Never met the owner, but they guy who works there is nice.

Sorry, hit send on that by accident.

Yeah, I don't really have anything against Waterbury Aquarium, but everyone always says that the people are really nice and I just haven't seen that. Maybe I look angry or standoffish when I'm concentrating on looking for fish :).

Also, are there any fish clubs in CT? I've seen fish clubs mentioned but I don't really know what they are or what goes on at them.

WBAC88 said:
Sorry, hit send on that by accident.

Yeah, I don't really have anything against Waterbury Aquarium, but everyone always says that the people are really nice and I just haven't seen that. Maybe I look angry or standoffish when I'm concentrating on looking for fish :).

Also, are there any fish clubs in CT? I've seen fish clubs mentioned but I don't really know what they are or what goes on at them.

its all good, only positive vibes over here ;)

& i gotta say they're always super nice to me .. even his dog :) .. once though, the girl took about 10 mins to warm up to me.. however when i let her show me her gold head compressiceps she perked right up LOL

its funny you mention fish clubs because at griffin hospital in derby (where i work) theres about 5 of us who take smoke breaks together & we all have tanks.. i started to call us FISH CLUB as a joke & now when we see eachother in passing we all yell it lol .. & corny as it may be, me & our female member have a special handshake :ROFLMAO: its pretty awesome

Just Phish sounds like my kinda shop LOL

hows their FW look? primarily, how decent is their african selection? :)

Their FW looks pretty good, I've gotten some stock from there, all healthy. I don't know that much about africans, but it looks like they have several tanks of them. It's not as big as WA, so it doesn't have quite as much stock, but definitely worth checking it out if you can't find what you want at WA.

its all good, only positive vibes over here ;)

& i gotta say they're always super nice to me .. even his dog :) .. once though, the girl took about 10 mins to warm up to me.. however when i let her show me her gold head compressiceps she perked right up LOL

its funny you mention fish clubs because at griffin hospital in derby (where i work) theres about 5 of us who take smoke breaks together & we all have tanks.. i started to call us FISH CLUB as a joke & now when we see eachother in passing we all yell it lol .. & corny as it may be, me & our female member have a special handshake :ROFLMAO: its pretty awesome

Yeah, maybe I just have to become more of a regular there. I've only had a handful of interactions with the staff.

That's awesome that you work with so many other people who have tanks, I only have one neighbor who does, but we work different schedules, so it's hard to talk shop with him much. A special handshake is pretty...uh, special, too! :lol:

Anyone hear of the fish bowl? Stamford CT.

After I lost about 12 petsmart fish, Fishbowl is where I go. Good selection of fish (SW & FW) and the owner (not the others) seems very knowledgable - though I'm just a fish keeping newbie. If you have questions be sure you get him (tony - i think). Visit Fish Bowl much?

Yeah, I don't really have anything against Waterbury Aquarium, but everyone always says that the people are really nice and I just haven't seen that.

You have to catch Chris there without his girlfriend present. She's only had one happy day since I've been going there, and that's a long time. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom