KC area freshwater hobbist, looking to enter "The Reef Zone"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Black69ta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, my name is Tim Sawyers II. I live in the northwest section of KC MO. I currently only have three tank running but I own a long list that I have picked up here and there. My first was a 10 gal as a child that taught me to consider species before mixing. Many things gave changed since then. My first as an adult was a 29gal that I setup as a planted community. It currently houses java fern, java moss, vals, and another plant I can't remember. Fish wise, it is home to a school of Angels.

I have a 5gal that is my wife`s fireman tank, with a bubble LED volcano, firetruck and bubbling fire dog. Its sole occupant is a red Betta.

My other tank is 55 set it up with roman colloseum ruins and black sand with Acei and Yellow Lab Cichlids.

MY other tanks include a 2.5gal, 3gal, 20gal, a 26gal bowfront, another 29gal, and a 125gal I picked up free from craiglist.

I want to turn the 125 into a reef tank. If I don't use the 29 for a sump, I want to build an acrylic tunnel and combine my two 29`s with a tunnel.

kc area lfs`s

Also I`ve seen many comments inquiring about lfs`s.

Starting in the west, bonner springs is home to Go Lizards, Go. They have amazing reptiles, huge lizards gators tortises etc. They actually carried freshwater fish last time I was there but they were just increasing that section and selection was small. But that has been awhile so that may have changed. The staff has always been friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

Next up way down south off of I-35 and 151st in the Great Mall of the Great Plains. Busy place tons of stuff crammed into that space. Staff doesn't have much time to help but they are friendly even if rushed. Vandalized a few weeks ago someone dosed several tanks with copper and killed their inverts and corals.

Next up is the Saltwater place @ 119th and Metcalf. Beautiful tanks friendly staff. They help me learn a few new names each time I go in. Helpful in planning how I want to set my 125 up too. Good prices too.

I have never been to the place on 117th and Nall, it sounds like somewhere I should check out.

I think that is all on the KS side. Excluding the box pet stores.

missouri lfs`s

Starting up north,

On Barry Rd. Is Miles of Exotics, the are very friendly and helpful, huge snakes, they just redid their fish room, they will have more fresh fish, but even less saltwater specimens. They should eventually add a fragtank or two. Decent prices too.

Then off of N. Oak and 72nd St. is Fins & Foliage, knowledgeable staff but not real friendly, not rude but not real cheerful. Lots of Marineland filter parts. Mostly freshwater, they have maybe a half-dozen saltwater tanks. A little high on some prices though, They do have Angels all the time, they are cheap when you catch them small.

On Burlington is Midwest Reefs. The moved from way up north around 103rd and N. Oak. Bigger store now. People seemed more friendly the day I visited, but when they were up north they were always rude and wouldn`t talk to me.

Out in Independence is Brothers pets. They are off I-70 on Sterling. Pretty good selection on both freshwater and saltwater specimens. Prices are a little high but they also have species that others don`t carry. Good prices on other things though.

Almost forgot about City Pets, they are off ward Parkway near Westport. Friendly staff but it is a small store. Not bad fish prices, high prices on foods and other stuff though.

forgot the one in Shawnee, KS.

I forgot the Mission Pet Mart, near the Target and Shawnee Mission PKWY. Wide variety of Cichlids, several saltwater fish and corals. Decent prices too. Very knowledgeable staff usually busy, but they are helpful.

Not from the area but when I'm there I always stop by paradise aquatics on 119th in overland park. They are saltwater only. Great variety & some awesome coral. Just be sure you research what you buy there because they are in business to make money.

Back
Top Bottom