seattle area lfs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lindsay1718 said:
That's cool, I've always had problems w/driftwood. It doesn't matter how long it sits in water it doesn't ever sink. I love the look of it though.

This will be my first time doing it ive heard to boil then soak for a few days and then if it doesnt sink right away to tie to something to way it down

Hey Zach! Driftwood needs to be boiled for at least four hours to help release the tannin in it. Then soak it for another day changing the water freq, until the water runs clear. Some will still seep out of it after it's in your tank. It will sink a soon as it is water logged.
Driftwood from the beach might be attractive and look ready to pop in an aquarium just as it is. However, the wood may carry a range of pathogens and parasites that make fish very ill. Further, driftwood tends to absorb salt, which is not helpful in a freshwater tank. The tannins in driftwood can raise the acidity of an aquarium as they leach into the water. Because many species of fish need a very specific pH, it is helpful to soak out most of the tannins before putting the driftwood in the tank.

Oh and I guess I'm not going to be able to raise Angels. One more was floating at the top when I got home. Down to three now.

vaquero said:
Oh and I guess I'm not going to be able to raise Angels. One more was floating at the top when I got home. Down to three now.

Im sorry to hear that, did it have any markings on it was it the new one

vaquero said:
Hey Zach! Driftwood needs to be boiled for at least four hours to help release the tannin in it. Then soak it for another day changing the water freq, until the water runs clear. Some will still seep out of it after it's in your tank. It will sink a soon as it is water logged.
Driftwood from the beach might be attractive and look ready to pop in an aquarium just as it is. However, the wood may carry a range of pathogens and parasites that make fish very ill. Further, driftwood tends to absorb salt, which is not helpful in a freshwater tank. The tannins in driftwood can raise the acidity of an aquarium as they leach into the water. Because many species of fish need a very specific pH, it is helpful to soak out most of the tannins before putting the driftwood in the tank.

Thank you for the advice im boiling right now and im guna soak for a few days changing water constantly incase of salt and ill keep and eye on the ph

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120922_202120.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120922_202120.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 53
  • ForumRunner_20120922_202246.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120922_202246.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 63
vaquero said:
It was one of the new ones. Sigh!

Im sorry to hear that maybe its something from the store, the website i posted earlier gave a list of different diseases check it out see if any matches

I just wish I knew what the delio with the Angels is. ALL other fish are healthy looking and haven't had any problems. I do have the temp up to 85.5 Degrees but that should be okay. It is on the higher side, but still okay. I have heard a lot of people keeping their tanks around 82-84, IDK.

vaquero said:
I just wish I knew what the delio with the Angels is. ALL other fish are healthy looking and haven't had any problems. I do have the temp up to 85.5 Degrees but that should be okay. It is on the higher side, but still okay. I have heard a lot of people keeping their tanks around 82-84, IDK.

Maybe try lowering to 84 since yours are acclimated to the temp try slowly lowering to 83-84 which i read is in there range try this website breedingangelfish.info

Ok so i boiled 3 pieces that i wanted to use drained the pot put them in a tote with hot water to start water logging them i put them in two are floating one sank straight down whats that mean

it means the the other two still need a lot of soaking, they're not water logged yet. Or I have seen some driftwood that has hollow spots and there is air trapped in them. Try drilling some small holes in the bottom of the piece and see if that helps. But if they do sink then, you will have to re boil them as the tannin may be present inside also. Let me know how it goes.

So I haven't looooked at the tank yet, kinda afraid to see another Angel dead. Soon though as I need to wake up and see the fishes

Bridges in snohomish is a lot closer to Monroe. it is very nice and has great selection of angels. I got mine there and he is still doing great! They may even have sale.

So I haven't looooked at the tank yet, kinda afraid to see another Angel dead. Soon though as I need to wake up and see the fishes

So all is good this AM. I think I will transfer the angels to my wife's tank and see if they do better in there. I'll have to watch the ammonia and such, but I think we're okay on the amount of fish in it. She also has non aggressive fish in her tank.

Back
Top Bottom