10 gal stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattMal88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently just got a 10 gal tank and I'm trying to decide how to stock it. This is not my first tank, I have a 26g bowfront and a 55g as well and I've been keeping fish for about a year now so I know all about the cycle. This is my first small tank though. I'm thinking I want a betta as the centerpiece fish but I'd also like some small schooling fish to put with it to give the tank some life. Any suggestions on species and number would be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A school of Neon Tetras or Cardinal Tetras and maybe Shrimp or Snails.

The Betta would take over the top area, the tetras would take the top to middle area, and the shrimp take up the bottom of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Any suggestions on species and number would be appreciated.

I've kept several bettas over the years in 10g tanks, and it can be crap shoot as to whether they'll get along with tank-mates: one I had was perfectly fine sharing it with some ghost shrimp, but the next became a little serial killer. :eek2:

As for the space they'll occupy, my bettas have roamed all over the place, exploring their kingdom. One liked to swim through the crypt "forest" in that tank like a jungle explorer. :D

I'm not sure what to recommend, but, whatever you choose, you should keep a close eye on their interactions.

I'm not sure what to recommend, but, whatever you choose, you should keep a close eye on their interactions.

Agree... My Betta was once in a 10 gallon and he roamed all over. Liked no tank mates. Now he is in a smaller tank by himself.

How about a small school of harlequin rasboras

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It is not up to you but give it a try.

Add the Rasboras first, let them get accustomed, then add the Betta.

Make sure the Rasboras do not nip at the Betta's tale. Also, there is a chance that the Betta bully's the Rasboras... Again, not up to you. Just make sure you give everyone what they need.

Interesting. I've never known rasboras to be nippy.

I am not familiar with Rasboras not will I do the research but that was jut a point to research on: Brttas normally have large fins, so the original poster should take that into consideration.

Yea I definitely don't want any nippers with the betta. I do like the look of harlequin rasboras though. I also like the idea of some cardinal tetras with a betta with colors to compliment the tetras. My gf also has always wanted some sort of invert but my stocking of my two other tanks wouldn't allow for that. Would the betta or tetras bother shrimp?

Yea I definitely don't want any nippers with the betta. I do like the look of harlequin rasboras though. I also like the idea of some cardinal tetras with a betta with colors to compliment the tetras. My gf also has always wanted some sort of invert but my stocking of my two other tanks wouldn't allow for that. Would the betta or tetras bother shrimp?

It depends on how tempting the shrimp are for the Betta. I haven't mixed both so can't talk to that, I am just repeating what I have read regarding that question. On the other hand, Ghost Shrimp are cheap ($0.39 give or take) --give them a try!

My Bettas have varied. I've had some success adding Ghost Shrimp. RCS were slaughtered.

Some allowed other fish, some killed any and all tank mates.

One male did great with 3 White Clouds. I added 3 more WCMM but they were Long Fins and the other WCMM killed them. I added 3 young Panda Cories and my Betta killed them. This was in a 12g without much cover and no plants.

My last male lived with a female guppy. But one day during a water change she got scared and darted around and he killed her. This was in a 10g.

I've had many different Bettas over the years. Most I kept as single fish. I always tried to keep them in a minimum of 2g. Mine average about a 5 yr lifespan.

My last boys
173ecacf3fc65d2cbc5a1ac14f418e92.jpg
4c2897cfe1443fb2cdf8e399070e578c.jpg

This was a 10g. He killed any tank mates. He loved having room to swim. 10g rimless, eheim Ecco canister with custom Lily pipes, clip on Archaea LED fixture.

Blue/Black HMPK bred by a club member. He was in a 5.5g planted. Had a Nerite for company.

8a39735323988ff8d47f3f57fdf5d7cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input everyone! Those are some beautys Coursair. It looks like it's gonna be some trial and error as far as whether or not tank mates will work.

Yep... Good luck and remember to add tank mates first! Will give them a chance to roam around the tank before the Betta claims its territory.

Thanks for the input everyone! Those are some beautys Coursair. It looks like it's gonna be some trial and error as far as whether or not tank mates will work.

Thank you. I set up a red Betta in my old 5.5g tank, but he's in my roommate's room so I don't see him.

Well after cycling the tank I have finally stocked it. I went with a beautiful blue/purple male betta and 6 black phantom tetras. 3 males 3 females. Tank still looks like it could use a little more life. Could I add more fish and if so what would some good tank mates be?

First off if you haven't checked out AqAdvisor.com, it is very useful for stocking purposes.

Second of all you do have a little bit of space I think. Depending on your Betta's temperament. Maybe 5-6 celestial pearl danios? You'd need plenty of hiding spaces though as they can be timid.

Thanks littlefish I just checked out Aqadvisor it's pretty cool. And I love celestial pearl danios the only problem is I've never seen them at my LFS or any LFS I've been too in my area. I know I could have them shipped I just like being able to see and pick out my fish in person but I may have to cave and just order them online.

Well lesson learned here. The poor betta has been a victim of fin nipping by the phantoms so they have been removed and put in my 55g since I had some stocking room left in that tank anyway and no fish in that tank has flowing fins to be nipped at. So now I need new tank mates for the betta.

Let the Betta heal. Mine lived with Ghost Shrimp.

I would not suggest CPDs, they are timid and I think a Betta would make them hide more. They need heavily planted tanks to feel secure and other Nano species.

You might try Glowlight Tetras ? Hardier than Neons and mine have been peaceful.

Back
Top Bottom