10 Gallon fish recomendation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blancoh2o

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My daughter started a 10 gallon tank about 2 months ago. It is cycled and ready to go for more livestock. Currently it has 5 small tetras and 1 small frog. I don't think she can add too much more to the tank, but wants some sort of algae eater. What do you reccomend?
I am a reef tank person, so I don't know that much about freshwater fish keeping. I do however understand water chemistry and how to keep a tank clean....Be easy on me....OK....

Yeah, snail's are probably the only thing more you could add to that tank. I had one for a long time before something ate it!

for algae eaters....possibly an otto but you are definetly pushing the stocking limits as it is

HTH :D

mr86mister said:
for algae eaters....possibly an otto but you are definetly pushing the stocking limits as it is

HTH :D

He only has 5 tetras and an ADF.... that is not overstocked for a 10 gallon tank, i think you'll be ok to add a few Oto's for algae eaters, i would go with at least 2 because they like groups. You could do those and a mystery snail. If you want something colorful.. go for one Male dwarf gourami, they only get about 2" and will do really good with your tetras and ADF's.

So i am recomending
2 Otocinclus catfish
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 mystery snail

and yes with those additions you WOULD be pushing the stocking limit, but as long as you do weekly water changes and have good filtration i think you would be ok. Unless you are fixed on the 1"/gallon guidline, but if your comfortable with pushing the limits so to say, and able to keep up with the water changes, which in a 10 gallon tank, even a 50% weekly water change wouldn't be difficult.. then you would be fine adding some new small fish.

Thanks for the input!!!! Water changes are not a problem for us. I usually have up to 20 gallons of filtered R/O/D/I h2o on hand....I will look into some otos and a snail or 2.

I don't know if I'd go with a pair of Bolivian Rams. They can get to be 3". Maybe alone in a 10g with the otos, but I wouldn't put them in there with 5 tetras. Might be a little overcrowded. JMO.

I agree with the otos, just be aware they can be really sensative when you first get them. This is mainly because they have been shipped without food and the bacteria in their stomach has died which causes them to not be able to digest. What you need to do is find a LFS that has got them and wait for a week (two if you can wait) to see which ones didn't make it. Then, get a few (3 should be good) and gently acclimate them. Perhaps even using the drip method in a round bucket. Once you have them in the tank, suppliment their diet with algae waffers just ni case there isn't enough natural algae for them to eat. Once the otos have made it a month in the tank, you know you've got some hardy little guys. HTH!

Back
Top Bottom